Old CCENT to CCNA Voice possible?

Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been reading about the recent changes to the Cisco exams. I have CCENT, but it's from the old test (640-822). According to Cisco, I can take the CCNA Voice (640-554) now, without obtaining the ICND2 first. I'm wondering if I can pick up a couple 640-554 books and the Boson simulators for Voice, and gain enough knowledge to pass. Or, would I need to learn the R&S portion before studying the voice-specific material? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    You should be all set to take the Voice exam now. The changes already went into effect, it's only the exam expiration in September.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't started voice myself yet, but I would think there might be somewhat of a knowledge gap. I would bone up on OSPF and VLANs/VLAN Trunking and keep an ICND2 book on hand in case there is something you need to review.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • SpatulatorSpatulator Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the same question. I was fully prepared to go the icnd 1 and 2 route. But then Im reading the requirements for CCNA Voice and CCENT is listed as qualifying as a prerequisite. Ok so I have looked around and it seems there would be a bit of a knowledge gap. But I am thinking, well I can study for icnd 2, take a few practice tests until Im satisfied that I know the material, then jump right to CCNA voice. Does my cert track look spotty at all if I do that? I didnt think it would because when you get CCNA voice you are a CCNA. Then again the cost for icnd 2 isnt too crazy so maybe I should just bite the bullet and do both.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Spatulator wrote: »
    Then again the cost for icnd 2 isnt too crazy so maybe I should just bite the bullet and do both.

That was my plan:

CCENT
    CCNA: R&S
    CCNA: Security
    CCNA: Voice
    CCNP: Voice
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ended up ordering the Todd Lammle 802 book. From what I've read, the newer CCNA test will be more difficult, so I'd like to test on the older version before it expires. Not that I'm not up for the challenge, but I paid for the labsim course a while back which does not cover the new version. Also, everyone I've talked to says you need to have the R&S knowledge before you move on to voice, or things will not make sense.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I haven't started voice myself yet, but I would think there might be somewhat of a knowledge gap. I would bone up on OSPF and VLANs/VLAN Trunking and keep an ICND2 book on hand in case there is something you need to review.

You should be very familiar with VLAN configuration on switches before heading down the Voice track. As for OSPF? Know what it stands for and how it works. That's about it.