Options

Getting a Little Worried with my Career Heading

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
To give you some background:

I recently landed my first networking job with a large corporation just about a year ago. Previous to getting this job I had obtained my CCNA and was working help desk. I found this as my 'out' with help desk and my 'in' with learning networking as well as getting the experience I was seeking. Within 6 months they made me a floor manager for the NOC, supervising the entry level engineers I had been working as. I performed well and learned things quickly in regards to what is expected of a entry level engineer and was offered that role.

I took the offer as I felt it was a good career move. Now I am beginning to wonder if this was the right thing to do. I originally took on this new networking job for the sole purpose of learning networks and getting real life, hands-on networking experience. As I stand right now I don't think I am lacking in any experience gained as I currently work as a floor manager and am still pretty heavily involved in technical items; however I do see there are much more technical people on the floor (our tier 2/3 engineers).

I feel if I keep getting pushed down the the management route I will not learn the advanced technical parts I really want to learn and be stuck managing people. Then again our tier 2/3 managers are extremely technical people.I have kind of already stuck to to my management that I want to remain technical and learn networking. To be honest I don't think it is possible to be a NOC floor manager without knowing your stuff though. Yet, I do worry now because I am told I am being paid at the level of a senior tier 2 engineer because of taking on management responsibilities but I know I cannot perform on their technical level right now.

On a side note: my company also has engineers that work in the design aspect / implementation roles outside of the NOC operations. This REALLY has my interests and is something I would like to do in time. Right now my current job is strictly operations in a NOC. Yet, I believe these implementation engineers need VERY strong technical knowledge. I don't want my opportunity to move to this type of role to slip because I am not gaining the strong technical background via my current operations role that I might be able to obtain if I wasn't a manager.

Not sure what I should do...
When I do try to think it over I just consider that I haven't been here long and the experience I am gaining is still technical. I also try to involve myself with learning new technical things from the tier 2 / 3 engineers whenever I possibly can. I also am actively obtaining my CCNP and don't plan on stopping there. I plan to go after CCDA/CCDP and even CCIE eventually when the time is right. Part of me worries but then part of me just reassure myself that I just need to give myself time. I have only been in network operations less than a year and might be thinking too far into the future for now.

I don't know....

/end frustration icon_sad.gif
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to pick your path, management or engineer. Once you go the management route you are going to lose touch with much of the day to day engineering tasks. You don't necessarily have to completely lose touch with the technical side as a manager, but you will always have much of the management stuff on your plate and have to delegate the technical tasks to your staff. A good engineer isn't always a good manager and vice versa.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You have to pick your path, management or engineer. Once you go the management route you are going to lose touch with much of the day to day engineering tasks. You don't necessarily have to completely lose touch with the technical side as a manager, but you will always have much of the management stuff on your plate and have to delegate the technical tasks to your staff. A good engineer isn't always a good manager and vice versa.

Well said.

I know this is going to be more of people coming back and saying I need to choose my path and I will have to. I guess I am just a bit frustrated trying to decide. I very much enjoy the technical aspects and feel I get it easily. The technical aspects also really fascinate me and I LOVE fixing things.

However, management also comes easy to me as well and I have always found myself as a leader. Right now I think I am on the brink of going either route before I get too heavily involved with either, just knowing which route to take or what little steps can play an influence on where I am at now. If anything I guess I can always consider my options.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Sounds like you are in a very good spot to go either. The choice is yours! Either way you choose won't be a no coming back choice though. If you go a management route now with little technical experience plan on taking a pay cut to move back if you decide it's not for you down the road. I guess you are already starting to see that now though in your position.
  • Options
    I guess the only thing that worries me is if I do end up fully going technical I am not so sure how it will be received by my management. I think they really want to see me going the management route and are striving to develop me that way.
  • Options
    Well, you have to look out for number one first and foremost. If they are worth working for they will understand.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go the management route. What you know today will be worthless tomorrow, so a constant refresh of your technical skill is a must. Mix-in some project management and a understanding of business process and you will be more valuable in the marketplace.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good advice by networker.
    To be honest I don't think it is possible to be a NOC floor manager without knowing your stuff though.
    All of my managers have known less than me technically. It's really not a problem as long as you respect each others' domains. E.g., your engineers architect and implement plans while you report on and sell them. :)
  • Options
    Yes time will tell. Right now i'll keep doing what I am doing and keep this fresh on my mind when I face some more pressure. Thanks!
  • Options
    I would go the management route. What you know today will be worthless tomorrow, so a constant refresh of your technical skill is a must. Mix-in some project management and a understanding of business process and you will be more valuable in the marketplace.

Good point. Management experience is invaluable but so is technical. I value both. I am a hands on learner. I love getting deep into working on something technical. It's such a rewarding feeling knowing you built something or you made something work because of what you know. I know you can get these same kind of feeling from management roles too. Your people are your pride point. Its just something I've never really done previous to my professional IT career. I've always been a hard worker and earned my pay. I guess I am just finding out recently I have a knack for management as well and am not so sure what I think of it yet.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are in a larger company, there's usually an opportunity to dip your toe into management. Usually some sort of team-lead or senior individual contributor role where you don't necessarily have hire/fire or budget authority. If so, I would encourage you to try it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a manager but it could give you some window into it.

I do think that management isn't for everyone. And especially management in IT roles where it can be quite diverse.

I've been in management now for over 20 years and I must confess that I tremendously miss being hands-on. I was lucky enough to migrate into a role where I can still "play" in the technical arena. But the reality, is that to be successful in IT management, technical depth is less important.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    If you are in a larger company, there's usually an opportunity to dip your toe into management. Usually some sort of team-lead or senior individual contributor role where you don't necessarily have hire/fire or budget authority. If so, I would encourage you to try it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a manager but it could give you some window into it.

I do think that management isn't for everyone. And especially management in IT roles where it can be quite diverse.

I've been in management now for over 20 years and I must confess that I tremendously miss being hands-on. I was lucky enough to migrate into a role where I can still "play" in the technical arena. But the reality, is that to be successful in IT management, technical depth is less important.

That is kind of where I am at now. I am officially a team lead, but am being looked at as the official manager. I would have direct reports but would not be really responsible so much for hiring / firing or budgets. I am more serving as a technical leader for entry level engineers.

Being a technical leader is I think a blend of both.
  • Options
    Being a technical leader is I think a blend of both.

Yes - very true. The thing is that as you progress in your management career, you are most likely to find yourself being less hands-on and relied on more as an interface to the rest of the business. There will definitely more administrative work as well.

One of the reasons that I hang around here is because I miss the more technical aspects of IT.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get to do both. The lessons I learned as an administrator/engineer in early 1990's at a major university using Netware, AIX, SCO, SUN and AS/400 boxes helped me to develop the technical ability that I use today as an IT Director in the healthcare industry. Sure, I deal a lot more with policy and have more meetings than I care for, but I also have to have more than just "inch deep" knowledge of the network, servers, SAN's, SQL databases, HL7, security, etc.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I see it as being along a scale. With very technical on one end, and very managerial on the other. Regardless, I believe that wherever you fall on that scale, as long as you are creating value for the organization that you work in, you are doing the right thing.

From my perspective, your rapid rise into the management track shows great potential on your part.

I would argue that you find yourself in a great organization, and that you're in a great situation. Don't take it for granted. Do your best, and soak up the experience.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I get to do both.
    I feel that you are very fortunate then. icon_thumright.gif
    instant000 wrote:
    From my perspective, your rapid rise into the management track shows great potential on your part.
    Very true.

Danielh22185 - there is something to be said about being at the right place and at the right time when it comes to your career. It sounds like you are in a good place right now. Taking this next step could lead to new places and opportunities. From a lifetime earnings perspective, a management track could also place you into that higher tax bracket if you choose to pursue those goals.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my own experience, if you get the chance to shine in management, you should take it. I am trying to go into management for years now to no avail. Like with a lot of techy roles, you need experience to be accepted. More so in management, as management is usually attached with a nice wage. Put it that way - you are now at the bottom food chain of management - if you stick around there is always potential to fetch higher management positions, such as head of IT / department / CIO / CTO and the list goes on.

If you do enjoy both, management or tech - I'd go management. If you don't see yourself managing full time - then there is no point and you may have to be honest with you and them.

Either way - good luck :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, it has helped a lot and made me think.

My situation just comes as a bit of a shock to me leading technical people so early on in my career. I assumed I would travel far down the technical route a good ways before moving into something like management. Actually. my previous help desk job I became a SME and that later turned into a team lead role within a year. There too I found doors opening quickly into managing people. I guess I have a natural ability for it but its hard to give up on the technical so early, especially being a techy guy.

I think I will continue to try and keep myself as technical as possible. I very much enjoy Cisco Networking and want to continue with developing my knowledge of it. I've always had the dream of becoming a CCIE and don't see why some manager roles here and there needs to hold me back; so long as I am not pushed much deeper into it and further away from the technical world. I still have the opportunity to directly put my hands on Cisco gear daily. I have unlimited engineer access to 50,000+ device world wide. I think that is a huge value to my technical growth right now.

Interesting thing, we actually have directors in some of our other command centers that hold very high level certs like CCIEs ,CCISPs, etc. To me that is simply impressive to have a strong technical knowledge and the skills / ability to lead people / a department as well. I'm thinking I can make myself a dual edged sword with technical knowledge and management experience if I hold on to what I really desire and have my sights set on now.
  • Options
    HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    I hope you understand that Management always pays better than Engineers. I've seen many managers that are heavily involved on the design, implementation of networks. They get the best of both worlds plus a nicer paycheck.
  • Options
    Humbe wrote: »
    I hope you understand that Management always pays better than Engineers. I've seen many managers that are heavily involved on the design, implementation of networks. They get the best of both worlds plus a nicer paycheck.

Yes I fully understand that. That is kinda what I want my heading to be.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope you understand that Management always pays better than Engineers.
    That's not quite correct. While there is a potential to make more in management, especially if you make it to the director level or above, first-level managers often make less, have less influence, and are more expendable than their better engineers.
    I've seen many managers that are heavily involved on the design, implementation of networks.
    I mostly see this in first-level managers. Moving up, in rank and pay, typically means learning to let go.
  • Options

Definitely not always the case, especially with highly qualified engineers.
  • Options
    Definitely not always the case, especially with highly qualified engineers.

Ya we have an engineer that we consider our global network SME we use in time of serious outages. He is also involved with major projects too. He has zero direct reports, has his own office, and gets paid director level salary, he only reports to the global command center head which is just a few steps down from the CEO of the company. He's also a damn genius. I guarantee you he makes $150k+
  • Options
    But, back to my self evaluation.

I am just going to keep teaching myself technically. I don't really feel the desire to reach for much more in a management sense right now. I am fine with being a shift lead / floor manager for level 1 techs but am going to continue to better myself technically so that I can move to a more technical role in the future, whether its with this company or not.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Ya we have an engineer that we consider our global network SME we use in time of serious outages. He is also involved with major projects too. He has zero direct reports, has his own office, and gets paid director level salary, he only reports to the global command center head which is just a few steps down from the CEO of the company. He's also a damn genius. I guarantee you he makes $150k+

ALL depends on the needs of the business. Everywhere is different. Some places need chief architects, some don't. Management however is usually a safe bet on salary levels.
  • Options
    Well a little update with this.

I was actually sat down in a meeting with my management and given the choice of management or a technical route. I decided to forgo a pay increase with a management role and proceed with technical. I came to this company to learn computer networking and to be immersed in the technology. I barely have a year of experience and to be honest I don't want to give up on learning the technical before I have really started. Now given the opportunity to take a technical route I want to take this on in full focus so I can really learn computer networking on a deep technical level. I want to develop the skill set becoming of a skilled engineer.

If opportunity presents again, I figure I can always move back to management if that is what I want to do later on. I feel I have strong qualities becoming of a good manager. This has also apparently been visible to my management as well.

Thank you all for your words of advice. It has defiantly help me consider what I really want to go for.