CCNA 200-120 lab router question?

twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I just recently picked up 3 Cisco 3550 24 port EMI switches for the start of my home lab. I have been exclusively working with packet tracer for quite some time and I am finally starting with some hands-on.
I haven't picked up any routers yet and I'm looking for some opinions on which routers I should invest in for the CCNA 200-120 and that would possibly be useful down the road for CCNP / Voice / Secuirty. I'm looking for routers under $130ish each. Any feedback here would be wonderful, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    i believe any router in the 2600xm series with max ram will suffice.
    This includes 2610xm, 2611xm, 2620xm and 2621xm. I would get whichever is attainable at the cheapest price.

The 2620xm and 2621xm have a faster cpu which doesnt mean anything in a home lab, but does in production.
    Also the 2611xm and 2621xm have two fast ethernet ports which lets you connect your home internet if you wish.

all in all, get whichever you find cheapest.

Hope that helps
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome I just picked up 3 cisco 2621xm each with a WIC-2T Module with 256sdram / 32mb flash. Are there any other modules I should pickup to install that I may need?
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I would stop buying for now, you have a solid lab. As far as CCNA level material goes I found having the home lab very beneficial. More than once I plugged modules that were not compatible with the model of router, used straight through instead of crossover etc, all stuff I wouldn't have learned without physical hardware. Now I'm to the point where setting up the physical hardware is cumbersome and I try to exclusively use GNS3.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]