Options

Looking for some interview advice for a Senior Systems Engineer (Consulting)!

tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon everyone.

So yes, currently I work for a Microsoft partner as a level 2 Systems Engineer providing consulting services for clients in our 5 state regional area. I absolutely love what I do, the people I get to meet, and everything about it except for two things (I will get to those two things at a later point). I am highly skilled with Microsoft technologies (primarily around infrastructure including Server 2000 through 2012, Windows XP through 8, System Center, Hyper-V/App-V/UE-V/VDI, Active Directory/DNS/DHCP, OSD, application repackaging, and the list goes on. I love what I do, and I know that I am good at it. The two things I don't like about my current position is firstly how I am ONLY working with Microsoft technologies. My interest is more around networking, virtualization, storage, and security. Secondly, while I don't hate the places I am going to, I hate being out of town and away from my family for a week at a time, 1-2 weeks out of the month. It gets old. So I have been with this company for 14 months now, and received a promotion about 2 months back. More pay, and some other perks which are definitely nice. However, I have been thinking lately about looking for a new position that will be exactly what I want (working with multiple vendors/technology, still consulting, more money, less travel, etc). Sounds like a long shot, huh?

Well, I had applied for a position with another local consulting firm (not a direct competitor, since they are primarily around Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, and Dell/HP/EMC storage). I figured they would pay less, but I would apply for the heck of it. A week later I get a call from their recruiter and she said that they were very interested in me, basically because I have so much experience with System Center Configuration Manager (certified 2007 and 2012, over 30 production deployments in 3 years) as well as my interest/abilities in virtualization, storage, and networking (still pretty green with networking -- I could probably pass my CCENT with a weeks worth of studying). I was like awesome, this sounds perfect. Turns out that the pay range would be an increase of 14-22%, which would put me on target of what I am looking for. Not to mention I will have the same benefits (med/dental/vision, salary increases for my VCP and CCNA, paid training for my VCPs and CCNA, 401k, etc). Everything, right now, seems perfect with this new position. I have had two phone 'discussions' so far, first with the recruiter (non-technical) and second with a partner of the company (technical talk). I am having lunch with him and one of their Senior Systems Engineers (SSE -- same position I am applying/interviewing for) this Friday, which I assume is the final round. I am anxious, but in all honesty it feels like I am just meeting one of my clients. I don't get nervous in interviews, but I want to turn the discussion from 99.9% about me, to 50% about me and 50% about the company and why I should work for them. I feel that it will show more confidence, if you understand what I'm saying. I'm looking for tips and advice on how to do this and present myself as a valuable candidate to their company. Since I have over a year consulting experience and expertise in the products they are looking to hire for, I know I am what they are looking for, but I don't want to come off as cocky. What kind of things should I bring with me? I usually take a portfolio binder with 3 copies of my resume, 3 copies of my Microsoft transcript (3 MCITPs, 3 MCSAs, 3 MCSEs, a few MCPs) and 3 copies of my home network diagram (created in Visio -- usually a pretty cool talking point, since my network is more advanced than more small businesses with a Hyper-V cluster, 24 bay storage box with 42TB usable storage, managed networking equipment, 2 APs, etc).

Thoughts? Advice? Sorry for the rambling; just trying to give an overall picture. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that I am 23 years old, so probably the youngest SSE they have ever hired. Sometimes I feel that that hurts me, but I want to make sure it doesn't.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a fun opportunity. I don't really have any advice but thought that I would just wish you good luck on the interview. What you mentioned you are bringing to the interview makes sense.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Last few times I had interviews like that I did also create a portfolio, but not so much about my home network / design, but projects I have worked on. The current folder I have has a large Exchange 2007>2010 Upgrade design I worked on and my resume / CV at the back. (proper index and whatnot).

Having said that - I really never needed it. Every Senior Engineer position I applied / interviewed for, including my current position, was generic technical and sometimes scenario based (talking about a project I worked on, how to approach it, risks, risk mitigation etc.).

Good luck either way - I am sure you will be fine :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Last few times I had interviews like that I did also create a portfolio, but not so much about my home network / design, but projects I have worked on. The current folder I have has a large Exchange 2007>2010 Upgrade design I worked on and my resume / CV at the back. (proper index and whatnot).

Having said that - I really never needed it. Every Senior Engineer position I applied / interviewed for, including my current position, was generic technical and sometimes scenario based (talking about a project I worked on, how to approach it, risks, risk mitigation etc.).

Good luck either way - I am sure you will be fine :)

Thanks! I didn't even think to bring a portfolio of projects I have worked on in the past. My current position requires us to maintain what we call our ProQuals (Professional Qualifications), which is nothing more than a list of projects we have completed and our role in that project. That would be something interesting to bring as well!

I'm sure I am just over thinking things, but from what I have already been told about this new position I am very excited for it.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you bring anything related to your current or previous employers to your interview, just be sure it's not confidential or proprietary materials. A set of accomplishments that augment what's in your resume is always nice but I've always felt that it's better to try to highlight those accomplishes directly in the resume.

Good luck.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're explaining some of the items I run into frequently. I have quite a lot of Microsoft certs and an extreme amount of experience in their server software, so I ALWAYS get pegged as the "MS Guy". I would recommend if the conversations get steered towards being too heavily invested in that area, explain that you're really trying to branch out with new technologies/non-MS items and that you're willing to pick up other areas that might not be so familiar. Most interviews seem to be less about technical ability but more about how you approach items and where you really want to go.

Security work is even more so - less about MS overall, but about a lot of common technologies you'll encounter in any workplace. Never really hurts to have all of that MS knowledge/experience, but you might want to consider how much value comes with being "diverse" across many areas, or at least versed to have conversations with others about it. Think of it this way: "how would a potential employer value my overall skill set". Focus on the areas you might be weaker in, based on your ideal roles, and your value increases.

You are still on the young side (in general comparison to most of the other people who fall into these kinds of roles), but show them what you're capable of and go from there, without being overly self-focused. Make sure you align (or can work within) their goals and expectations (where your pre-interview research pays off), and it should work out ok. Less about you being a rock star but more about what value-add you provide to their needs. Sometimes it's all based on how well you'll integrate/work with others. Confidence in yourself and the way you communicate is often what's the most important. It will make it easier to get a 50/50 discussion if you ask about them a bit too, like their successes, their challenges, typical day, etc. People will give you a straight shot of what's really going on if you're asking them relevant questions about their roles and the company in general...usually in the 2nd half of the discussion, once the basics are covered.

Lastly, always have multiple copies of the resume (never hurts to have too many, especially if you are ever not sure on how many interviewers will be present)...the other items are nice, but even though I often bring a portfolio/certs/project list, it never gets pulled out. Impressive to show that you're organized and have data to back it up, but it's the conversations where you will likely shine.

Good luck in your next steps - you're definitely going places!
  • Options
    RoyalRaven wrote: »
    You're explaining some of the items I run into frequently. I have quite a lot of Microsoft certs and an extreme amount of experience in their server software, so I ALWAYS get pegged as the "MS Guy". I would recommend if the conversations get steered towards being too heavily invested in that area, explain that you're really trying to branch out with new technologies/non-MS items and that you're willing to pick up other areas that might not be so familiar. Most interviews seem to be less about technical ability but more about how you approach items and where you really want to go.

Security work is even more so - less about MS overall, but about a lot of common technologies you'll encounter in any workplace. Never really hurts to have all of that MS knowledge/experience, but you might want to consider how much value comes with being "diverse" across many areas, or at least versed to have conversations with others about it. Think of it this way: "how would a potential employer value my overall skill set". Focus on the areas you might be weaker in, based on your ideal roles, and your value increases.

You are still on the young side (in general comparison to most of the other people who fall into these kinds of roles), but show them what you're capable of and go from there, without being overly self-focused. Make sure you align (or can work within) their goals and expectations (where your pre-interview research pays off), and it should work out ok. Less about you being a rock star but more about what value-add you provide to their needs. Sometimes it's all based on how well you'll integrate/work with others. Confidence in yourself and the way you communicate is often what's the most important. It will make it easier to get a 50/50 discussion if you ask about them a bit too, like their successes, their challenges, typical day, etc. People will give you a straight shot of what's really going on if you're asking them relevant questions about their roles and the company in general...usually in the 2nd half of the discussion, once the basics are covered.

Lastly, always have multiple copies of the resume (never hurts to have too many, especially if you are ever not sure on how many interviewers will be present)...the other items are nice, but even though I often bring a portfolio/certs/project list, it never gets pulled out. Impressive to show that you're organized and have data to back it up, but it's the conversations where you will likely shine.

Good luck in your next steps - you're definitely going places!

Thanks for that, and you are right that I am often pegged as a "Microsoft guy". While I enjoy working with Microsoft products, I do want to diversify what I am experienced with and what I am able to do. That is the exact reason I want to be more about networking, storage, and virtualization instead of being wrapped up in one vendor. I will take some time tonight and come up with questions to ask them about their company and what my role would be, etc. Thanks!