Options

New forum member looking for Degree Advice, want to do A.A.S then WGU BA

Mike_11Mike_11 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I would like to start pursuing a degree in network administration and right now since I have zero experience Im thinking about starting with one of two options, either a computer networking aas from here MCCC :: Computer Networking AAS

or an IT network engineering degree from here Information Technology, Network Engineering, A.A.S. | Delaware County Community College

Once I complete Id like to apply to WGU and pursue a BA in information technology network administration.

My question is should I contact WGU to see if either of these two schools credits and coursework would be of any use and would completion allow me to transfer to WGU?

I hear that people in the IT field learn much of what they know from working hands on and working there way up in a company, should I look into getting a job at a help desk or something once I complete my AAS and Im in WGU that way I have the hands on experience necessary to be a better prospect for employment once I complete my BA?

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Mike

Comments

• Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    Hey Mike,
    WGU states that an AS or AAS degree in some sort of IT subject is enough for admission to the BSIT Network Admin track - here's a link: Online Network Administration Degree | MCSA | WGU College of Information Technology

With regards to the two programs you mentioned, they both look pretty similar to me. I would say pick the one that is cheaper :)
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike_11 wrote: »
    I hear that people in the IT field learn much of what they know from working hands on
    We learn different things from experience, education, and certifications--which is why all three factor into your salary and career prospects. If a four-year CS/EE degree at a good school is possible, by all means give yourself that advantage, but several forum members have had good experiences with WGU if you can't commit the effort, time, or money to attain those.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    if either of these two schools credits and coursework would be of any use
    If your coursework covers communication (english vocabulary/grammar, reports, public speaking) or practice applying basic mathematics (statistics, probability, physics).. those are great, and often underestimated when we're younger.

Education is your foundational knowledge. It's slow if ever to expire and helps you more rapidly acquire and adapt knew ideas. Certification covers how technology works today. It's immensely practical, but fades within years. Experience is practice, practice, practice and makes you fast at what you do and teaches you what really matters in your day-to-day role.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're going to go to WGU, why not just go to WGU? A two-year degree is not required, and getting and associates from a CC first isn't particularly likely to make the entire degree any cheaper or easier to get, nor will it add any weight in the end. With a reasonable, but moderate workload WGU can be accomplished for cheaper than any community college, and often in the same time frame.

Unless there is a compelling reason to get an AAS first, my advice would be to go for WGU. As far as getting job experience, that is definitely a must, and as long as you're going a non-traditional route, you might as well seek out work experience once you're ready. It won't take you long at WGU to get an A+ and enough skills to get an entry-level job. You need to supplement studies with actually working with computers, even if it's just for friends/family/self and mostly for free. I definitely learned far more on my own than from any combination of education. That is not to say education wasn't and isn't valuable, just that you can't just take a class and hope it all sticks. Get out there and apply what you learn.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It’s a little harder to get into WGU if you have no IT background or experience. Here are the requirements for admission to the IT program:

A Simple Admission Process: What’s Needed
    To be admitted into this online IT degree, you must:
    • Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
      • Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
      • Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
        • Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
        • Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
        • One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
        • One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
      • Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
      • Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience
    You will also be required to take and pass the WGU Readiness Assessment—a short, three-part online admissions tests that helps determine the likelihood of success in a WGU program.
    From http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_technology_degree_details#admission
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management