Options

CBT Nuggets for Linux+

shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm working on finding material for studying. I've already ordered Roderick Smith's Book but I'm thinking about subscribing to CBT Nugget's videos. I'm just concerned because they look quite dated. I'm not sure how up to date these are for the objectives.

You guys think it is OK or do you have another reccomendation? I'm looking for something to supplement with the book. I've used CBT before with Microsoft Certs and liked them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I watched the demo here, but it is a bit pricey:

Linux Magazine Academy - LPIC-1
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I'm working on finding material for studying. I've already ordered Roderick Smith's Book but I'm thinking about subscribing to CBT Nugget's videos. I'm just concerned because they look quite dated. I'm not sure how up to date these are for the objectives.

That's the old one from 04, here's their updated one: LPI Linux LPIC-1 101 and CompTIA Linux+ Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets
  • Options
    shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for finding these. Feel silly that I couldn't find the newer version of CBT's LIPC-1.
  • Options
    Although not dedicated to certification, the Linuxcbt videos are very good. I preferred them when you could purchase the DVD, now they have gone to subscription like everyone else. They do offer demos. I used them to study Solaris 10. I had to force myself to watch them, but they are full of good info:

Demos
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    professor messer has videos for linux training of professor messers free a plus training
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They're pretty thorough to be honest & pretty easy to watch. As far as I know they're actually quite recent too.
  • Options
    I watched the professor Messers Linux videos yesterday. They are fine, but there isn't a lot of material there. Yes, I understand they are free, and he has spent his own time and money creating them, but not enough there to pass a test.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm. Anyone ever use the Labsim videos for Linux+ studying? With a recent change at WGU, we now have the Linux+/LPIC exams in our tract, and they use Labsim. I used CBT Nuggets to study for, and successfully pass the CCNA Security exam, but I'm wondering if I should spend my money for the subscription again, and if there are any better options out there for less.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Yeah linuxracr I am using testout/labsim at the moment. Used them for my A+ as well.

It's fairly dry content but it does give you all the information you need. I also like how it's broken up between text and video and labs. Not nearly enough labs though which is why I'd use cbtnuggets or trainsignal as well.

I have found using cbtnuggets or trainsignal along with labsim to be beneficial as you can follow along with those videos in a virtual machine to get more hands on practice. It's easy to do this now that cbtnuggets and trainsignal are both subscription based and reasonably priced.