Some advices needed!

altdrugzaltdrugz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, I ve taken my NA around a 1 month ago and im interested in NA:S now. So I bought the Barker/Morris Study Guide, and I have already some "trash" equip like 2 ancient 2500 routers and 1 2960 switch. The problem is that I see from the book a LOT of GUI stuffs and configurations of IPS/FW things therefore I need a way to experiment. ASAs are not cheap and through GNS I do not have a proper image for using it with SDM (for using IPS/IDS modules etc). I found some pix in fair prices but I know that cisco isnt producing anymore and actually have stopped the support also. Could pix replace an ASA for such purposes?

So what should I do now? :o Im kinda stuck, because I have already read the 4/5 of the study guide and also have seen a lot of videos in youtube etc and I do not have a way to try these things out...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    You don't need an ASA for the CCNA. As far as the PIX - forget it, it's old stuff. Concentrate on CCP, download it, set it up and practice with it. Not a big deal, the CCNA is more of an introduction and you have go grasp the concepts and not do heavy configurations(that's for the CCNP).
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I agree with Master of Puppets. You don't need an ASA or PIX. I don't know how much it has changed in 2 years, but I just used SDM and a 2950 to pass. I really liked the Security stuff.

Study the pictures in the book, try to memorize which tabs or screens the different options are on and go for it.
  • geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your 2500 is not worth a hill of beans at this point. Minimum router is something that can work with CCP. Ideal is an 1841 however, an 861 or 88X will suffice fine. SDM is no longer part of the exam and has been phased out by Cisco. You must know CCP well for the exam....its not based on IOS commands. Agree with the above posts...if you're gonna get an ASA, get the 5505, but you certainly dont need it to pass the exam, as there really is not ASA config base scenarios because ASDM is not testable.