Options

Basic Topology?

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
Hey all,

So I bought three 2950 switches and 2620XM, 2610, and 2611 routers for fooling around with hardware. I'm sure the actual model doesn't matter as much for this question, but does anyone have some basic topologies/setups for a 3S/3R setup that someone would benefit from the most?

Just finally looking to hop into real hardware and would be appreciated! :)
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Switches:

1) Full Mesh -- Spanning Tree, VLANs

Routers:

1) Single Subnet (via a Switch) -- OSPF Elections
    2) Star Topology (2 Routers Acting as DTE and 3rd acting as DCE) -- Frame Relay
    3) Daisy Chain -- Basic RIPv1/RIPv2, OSPF, EIGRP
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

Frame Relay Topology

Ideally, you would have a 3rd DTE to configure additional PVCs. But, I believe it can be done with only 2 DTEs. If you want a 3rd router, you can find the 1700 Series very cheap.

You could substitute PPP or HDLC for Frame Relay and use this a Point-to-Point WAN Topology. You could also use it for Routing Protocols such as RIPv1, RIPv2, and EIGRP. It could be used for OSPF, but would not allow for full device elections (see topology below).

OSPF Topology

Placing All 3 routers on 1 subnet allows you to test device elections. Connecting a laptop or PC with a crossover cable to the 3rd router allows you to have 4 subnets (1 between the 3 routers + 1 off each router).

Spanning Tree / VLANs / Inter-VLAN Routing Topology
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]