Options

Have BS in Biology, looking to start a career in the IT field.

Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I earned a BS in Biology from the University of Washington in 2008, and have since worked as a cop/Park Ranger in Yosemite National Park. I decided that law enforcement wasn't for me, though, and have decided to return to the one thing I've always excelled at: Computers/IT.

I have no work experience, per se, but I have hobby experience. I've been building and maintaining my personal PCs since I was 12 (27 now), and generally love computers and love learning how to use them. I have a knack for it and just seem to "get" computers. I remember in 6th grade I taught myself HTML and was making websites as a hobby. Yet somehow I ended up chasing bears in Yosemite... but I digress.

A few months ago, I enrolled in a 2-year AAS program at a local community college in their IT program.

Unfortunately, I'm bored out of my mind due to the slow, plodding nature of the class. The first quarter is covering A+ material, and I am so bored with how slow it's going I can barely pay attention. When we spend 5 hours on installing Windows or 5 hours on how to install a hard drive, I just about fall asleep because I could DO those things in my sleep. It's like having somebody lecture on how to chew your food. It's awful. There is so much more to learn in the IT field that I feel that I'm wasting my time and money.

So, I decided to start studying for the CCENT/CCNA exams. I took a CCNA prep course in high school and was the #1 student in the class, but didn't pass the CCNA exam (I missed it by less than 1%, much to my dismay). I'm about 5 chapters into the CCENT material, and have GSN3/Dynamips all set up on my PC. I also plan to buy a couple of routers and a switch to set up a home lab to practice on. I also ordered an A+ exam prep book to replace or awful in-class textbook, and am planning to take the first A+ test (the 801 "hardware" one) next weekend, then will take the 802 soon after. Assuming that all goes well, I want to take my CCENT sometime later this summer. Then I want to get my CCNA sometime early next year, if not sooner.

Anyway, long story short, I'm already progressing well ahead of what my course will cover. The course won't even touch CCNA material, and Network+ is the highest cert we'll get (out of the three we'll get, all CompTIA certs. Security+, Network+, A+).

I started poking around online, and found that WGU offers a bachelors program in IT - Network Administration, which would give me a 2nd bachelors in IT as well as 13 industry certs (including the CCNA, CCENT, and all three CompTIA certs). It's extremely tempting because it'll let me go at my own pace as well as earn a 4-year degree in the field of my choice instead of having to rely on my stupid Bio degree to get a job in a totally unrelated field. My estimate is that I'd probably be able to finish the program in approximately the same time it'll take to finish my current 2-year program, while costing roughly the same. It'd be way more work, but that's what I want.

So my question is this: Is getting a 2nd bachelors worth anything? Or should I just aim for those 13 certs and do them on my own time? Or, should I just stick with this 2-year AAS program and study up on my own on the side and see how many certs I can get while earning the AAS to compliment my bachelors?

I'm thinking long term, in that someday I'd like to be working for Microsoft, Google, or Amazon, all which have offices in my region. I don't want to be held back by not having the proper formal education, but I also don't want to waste a bunch of money on a 2nd bachelors (or a 2-year AAS) if it isn't going to do me any good. I also don't really want to get a Masters degree right now, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply. Mostly it's that the Masters programs don't look like they'd be teaching me very many marketable skills, while the 2-year/4-year programs do.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously considering WGU, but I am hesitant to jump into a 2nd bachelors if it'll just look silly and redundant next to my current BS.

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All I can say is I have a degree in Zoology, and while I don't have lots of certs in IT I have wide range of experience and have a very nice job right now. (managing and training people who on paper are much higher qualified than me)

Go after the certs that the job you are doing needs. I know plenty of people with lots of certs that havnet got any where. AS other say certs only get you to an interview. at some points no matter how many certs you have, experience is what counts, and thats what you need to get the top job.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bacon_00 wrote: »
    A few months ago, I enrolled in a 2-year AAS program at a local community college in their IT program.
    I wouldn't bother. Most employers consider a BS more desireable than a 2-year IT degree.
    So, I decided to start studying for the CCENT/CCNA exams. I'm about 5 chapters into the CCENT material, and have GSN3/Dynamips all set up on my PC.
    Excellent.
    I also plan to buy a couple of routers and a switch
    ::shrug::
    and am planning to take the first A+ test (the 801 "hardware" one) next weekend, then will take the 802 soon after.
    Very good.
    I started poking around online, and found that WGU offers a bachelors program in IT - Network Administration, which would give me a 2nd bachelors in IT... instead of having to rely on my stupid Bio degree to get a job in a totally unrelated field.
    Look, you keep downplaying your degree, but a BS in Biology--which like most BS degrees presumably covered hard math and science like calculus, probability/statistics, physics, etc. plus communication skills--is still stronger than a 2-year IT degree. That 2-year IT degree often will not even pass HR barriers, requiring extra red-tape and a damn good reason to hire you.

In the Experience/Education/Certification trifecta education is your strongest area.

If I were you I'd get a couple basic certifications (I started w/ a CCNA only) and then build your experience. You should be able to move up quickly. OR, if you MUST have a higher starting salary, get a MASTER's degree in CS/EE.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I wouldn't sweat it. Going for the CCNA and A+ sound like a good steady plan. I'm not sure how much tuition is, but I may look into a Master in Computer Science. Talk about some serious notice from HR departments. Something to consider....

Please whatever you do, forget the 2 year IT degree idea. If you are hell bent on school, CS masters = very strong!
  • Options
    ChantelChantel Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you thought about a master's program in IT? There are many programs out there that don't require you to have a bachelor's in the computer field. I am looking at a master's program at Bellevue University in NE. They have online and in class. They have a couple of IT degrees and a cybersecurity degree. They may tell you that you need prerequisites, but your certs should cover that. Iowa State University also has decent Master's degrees. I have no experience and no IT related degree and they said I would most likely qualify with no prereqs based on classes and certs. The two colleges I listed are on the NSA site for academic excellence.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like everyone else here, I say drop the AAS program. Get some relevant certifications and get your foot in the door.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Hey thanks for all the great replies, everybody! Given me a lot to think about.

I think what I've decided based on my boredom in class and all the feedback is that my AA program is a waste of time for me. I thought it was going to be much more of a challenge than it has been. Looking ahead in the curriculum I see that I'll have pretty much surpassed it when I finish my CCENT.

I am, though, still leaning towards doing this WGU program. A 2nd bachelors is a bit superfluous, I'll agree, but it won't take me 4 years to get it. I'm pretty confident that I could knock it out in a year to a year and a half, which is within the timetable I'd already set aside for this AA program. So even if it isn't entirely necessary, I'll come out of it with those 13 certs and some confidence to speak from in job interviews. I don't really know what area of IT I want to work in, aside from networking, so having a broad spectrum of certs would give me a lot of confidence and options, I feel. The way I see it, it can only help.

Once I get my A+ and CCENT (hopefully by September), I'll start applying to jobs. I definitely agree that I need experience more than anything, so it makes sense to start looking for work ASAP. If it turns out that I get a good job and the WGU program isn't doing anything for me, I can **** it. $2800 down the drain, but I could get a few more certs (like my CCNA) out of it easy. If it is still helping me, then I can do it on my own time while I work. Might take me 3 years instead of 1, but big deal. The tuition is relatively cheap, so in the grand scheme of things paying for tuition while I work isn't going to dramatically affect my life.

I'm not sure about Master's programs. I'll look into them more, but none I've found are particularly appealing. There is one at the University of WA, but they don't admit until Fall 2014 =/ I also don't know if I want a CS Masters. I'd need quite a few re-reqs before I'd qualify, and all the Masters programs I've seen are incredibly expensive...

Anyway, thanks again for the replies! I'd definitely like to read more opinions/thoughts if anybody has any!
  • Options
    Bacon look at Monsanto. They are a biotech company that hires IT professionals with science degrees. Just like how hospitals love to hire RN's into process and informatic roles. http://www.monsanto.com/careers/pages/jobsearch.aspx
  • Options
    abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not much else to add, but I have a B.S in Biology as well.. 13 years ago I decided it was the wrong path... (too much soft-money.. spending 6 months of the year writing grants to try and fund having a job next year.. etc. etc.) I had been building my own since buying my first Amiga and reading anything and everything I could get my hands on. First thing I did was get my A+, then three months later I got my first desktop support job (aka. foot in door)... it was the right choice for me... haven't 'worked' a day since (although I have spent 20 hours straight in a small very well airconditioned room beating my head against the side of a server rack... but at least there weren't any mosquitos).

PS.. Monsanto is the devil... LOL
  • Options
    I also don't know if I want a CS Masters. I'd need quite a few re-reqs before I'd qualify, and all the Masters programs I've seen are incredibly expensive...

To take cost out of the equation, Google "Georgia" in this forum or find the thread on online degrees and you'll discover a MS in CS costs about $7,000 and typically you'll make $10,000/yr more starting out than someone with a BS in CS. That can't be said for any other educational options you're considering. Thus, the real cost is the opportunity cost of not getting a job now.

One strength of a degree like that is it will expose you to many technologies and help build a strong foundation that will help you long-term in almost any technical career. That doesn't change my primary recommendation to get a CCNA and/or A+ and get your feet wet. If you so desired, while building experience, you could complete a master's degree in the evenings.

A CCNA could be completed in about 60 days, with your prior experience, with a couple hours/day put in. That is without cramming or rushing, and of course you don't want to cram or rush, if you're looking at this as a career. :)
  • Options
    To take cost out of the equation, Google "Georgia" in this forum or find the thread on online degrees and you'll discover a MS in CS costs about $7,000 and typically you'll make $10,000/yr more starting out than someone with a BS in CS. That can't be said for any other educational options you're considering. Thus, the real cost is the opportunity cost of not getting a job now.

One strength of a degree like that is it will expose you to many technologies and help build a strong foundation that will help you long-term in almost any technical career. That doesn't change my primary recommendation to get a CCNA and/or A+ and get your feet wet. If you so desired, while building experience, you could complete a master's degree in the evenings.

A CCNA could be completed in about 60 days, with your prior experience, with a couple hours/day put in. That is without cramming or rushing, and of course you don't want to cram or rush, if you're looking at this as a career. :)

Well, I checked out this Bellevue University in NE, and they have a fairly appealing Masters program online. Unsure of the cost, though. I'll also keep an eye on this George Tech thing. That sounds awesome, although I'd need to take a number of pre-reqs somewhere.

Thanks for all this info... it's a little overwhelming, but my brain is on overdrive processing it and trying to make a good decision :)
  • Options
    Well, I checked out this Bellevue University in NE, and they have a fairly appealing Masters program online.
    I've never heard of Bellevue, but that also sounds reasonable. They both bump up your "Highest level of education."
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with Bellevue, but that also sounds beneficial. They both bump up your "Highest level of education."

Management of Information Systems Degree - Master of Science | Bellevue University

Looks very do-able.

Oye. So much to consider. I think I'll just focus on getting my A+/CCNA and then apply to some entry level jobs. The WGU thing still isn't off the table despite pretty much everybody telling me it's not really worth it to get a 2nd bachelors =P I'd like to get a Masters, but I could always do that in a year or two after I got my WGU, as well. More education can never hurt, right?

But, I'm not 100% sold on it, either. Maybe once I have my A+/CCNA, I'll get a good job and suddenly won't see the need for more school anymore.
  • Options
    I want to say one last thing, the CS degree is insanely time consuming and you may not want to go there. If you don't there is no worries there. Asking questions like your doing is a great start and getting the CCNA would be wonderful. You would be in a really good place.
  • Options
    ChantelChantel Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I checked out this Bellevue University in NE, and they have a fairly appealing Masters program online. Unsure of the cost, though. I'll also keep an eye on this George Tech thing. That sounds awesome, although I'd need to take a number of pre-reqs somewhere.

Thanks for all this info... it's a little overwhelming, but my brain is on overdrive processing it and trying to make a good decision :)

Bellevue University lists the tuition as $485 a credit hour for the cybersecurity master's program. I don't know if any fees are in addition to that. They have a semester that starts the first week of June. Each semester you take one or two classes. It is 8 weeks long (if I remember right). If you take two classes per semester, it should take about 18 months.

I have done a LOT of research on grad schools. I have also debated getting a second bachelor's because it would be less intense and not as time consuming as a master's degree. At Bellevue, I could have it done in about 14 months or so. If I had more time, I wouldn't have had this debate with myself. Also a second bachelor's would be cheaper.