Options

Is my school's CIS program worth it?

roger_90roger_90 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone

I'm an electrical engineer student but I'm seriously thinking about changing my major. I feel that an IT related job is what I really want to do. I received my A+ Cert. 5 years ago when I was in 9th grade. However, I never tried completing any more certificates because I thought electrical engineer was my going to be my future. Now, I'm transferring to my school's Computer Information Systems program but I'm not sure if it's any good. And that's where I need some help from you guys.

Here are some of the classes required for a B.S. in Computer Information Systems Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems

and here's a different option, B.S. in Computer Engineering Technology Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering Technology

My plan is to find a position as a Network Admin/Engineer or similar position in the future and I'm aware that I'm also going to need lots of experience. Which of the two degrees is gonna help me the most to achieve my goal? Also, what certificates should I start working on now? BTW, The only cert I passed was the A+ but I want to do it again because I feel very rusty =P. What books do you guys suggest for passing it again?

Any suggestions are appreciated icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Of the 2 it looks like the Engineering would be a little more toward what you are looking to do. Why do A+ again? If you want to brush up just pick up a book and read. No need to retake an exam. As for exams you could go the Net+ and Sec+ to finish the trilogy then work on Cisco or do Sec+ and CCENT if you are already comfortable with networking basics.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I don't know if you have noticed but one of the degrees required for many IT jobs is Electrical Engineering. This degree is very respected so I don't think you will have much trouble with it. Certification wise, I would say CCNA is a must.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It doesn't make much sense to go from Electrical Engineering to Computer Information Systems if you like IT.

My reasoning is that an Electrical/Computer Engineer would know how to design/build systems. Taking that would give you stronger math courses, and there is no distinct advantage you get from the CIS degree (except that it would be easier). Don't make the mistake I did, of getting a degree you regret later, because you didn't realize that Computer Science or Computer Engineering would be more useful and you didn't realize the difference at the time.

Of course, I see that you made the mistake of assuming that a degree gives you experience -- it doesn't. To get experience, you need to get a job, even if it is for voluntary purposes.

If you want the most flexibility, stick with the engineering major, so you can do engineering work or IT work. If you get the CIS degree, you can't go in the other direction.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree stick with your electrical engineering degree. Networking is based off of standards set by the IEEE and you'll learn them in your program. Plus more then likely you'll take at least a few programming courses. So complete the degree and the CCNA, you'll be just fine.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    roger_90 wrote: »
    I never tried completing any more certificates because I thought electrical engineer was my going to be my future. Now, I'm transferring to my school's Computer Information Systems program but I'm not sure if it's any good.
    As others said, a CS/EE plus CCNA is golden if you want to get into networking and neither degree will count as "experience". CS/EE will give you a deeper understanding of how networks actually operate if you choose your courses wisely.

Switching to an easier degree isn't fatal but will impact a networking career negatively.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Switch to CS if you don't like EE. It's not that EE isn't applicable. It is highly applicable, but I would say CS is a better fit if you are feeling you want to go into IT infrastructure over any kind of EE field. Don't retake your A+. You have one that doesn't expire, and that's all the matters. You'd just want to brush up on entry-level hardware/software knowledge when applying for jobs. There is absolutely no return for retaking it.

CIS is okay, but honestly, I don't see any reason to take CIS over CS unless you can't handle higher-level math or hate programming. You will get more out of CS both in your career and in terms of what you learn. EE is pretty good too, but if you aren't like the electrical side of things I could understand wanting to study software more and going with CS.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!

Let me elaborate more on why I decided to change majors. I'm in my second semester in college and I have completed most of the basic courses(english, hist, political sci, etc) However, for personal reasons, I can't keep up with the pace of engineering workload anymore. I managed to get through all of my classes with good grades but it was very challenging. I don't really enjoy math or programming that much so I don't think EE is for me. Plus, I'll be working full time starting this summer and I want to take something easier than engineering. I understand the value that an Engi degree offers as I work with an EE at my job but I don't think I'll be able to complete my EE degree anytime soon. My main concern is that I'm not the brightest at math or science. And from the little that I've been exposed to, I'm pretty sure engineers need to be good at math/science if they want to make it all the way to the end with a good GPA.

With all that said, I'm leaning more towards a Computer Engineering Technology degree. It may not be as good as Engi degree but at the moment that's what I can handle. I ruled out the CIS degree because there are some classes in there that I don't believe are of any use at all.

And I know that experience is something more valuable than any college degree can give you. That's why I plan to get some certificates along the way and start working my way up so by the time I graduate I could have some experience in the field.

And here's a list of some(but not all) of the classes I'll be taking:

Electrical Circuits I + lab, Electrical Circuits II + lab, Digital Systems + lab, Semiconductor Devices and Circuits + lab, Linear Systems Analysis, Communications Circuits, Sensor Applications, Microprocessor Architecture, Embedded Systems, Computer Networks, Unix Operating Systems, Data Communication Systems, Object-oriented Programming, telecommunications, Advanced Microcomputer Networks, plus senior projects and a few other electives(related to my field)

Any opinions??? Am I wasting my time with this degree or does it have some value to it? Any opinions are welcomed.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are already part of an engineering program and it fits your schedule, I would stick with it. Nothing wrong with CIS... and I have NEVER seen to be an issue for anyone... there are plenty of folks that get buy with no degree at all. If there was tight competition for a specific job, very possibly the engineering degree could give you an edge, though.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    DrBr0b0tnikDrBr0b0tnik Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm with you on the math struggles, that's why I never pursued a comp sci or engineering degree. But honestly, if you can somehow manage the EE load, I'd go with it. Just for me locally, there are a lot more jobs you can secure with an EE degree than a CIS degree. But of course, if its not want you want to do then don't do it.
  • Options
    After a lot of thought and research I've decided to suck it up and continue with EE. I don't want to regret it a few decades down the road. Nevertheless, I still plan to get a few certificates along the way.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I found this forums and I'll be around asking more questions and maybe helping others out. Big Thanks!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I don't think you can regret an EE degree. Definitely get the certs, this combo will be great.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Roger, degree's are always worth it. You just have to finish, many say AA, AS, or AAS are pointless but IMHO degree and certs will get you in a door. That is all you want is a way in, then its up to you to get the job. That said EE degree is a good degree to pursue, I know of a few guys in that field and they love their jobs.