Options

Am I underpaid? Like my job, not sure what to do...

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
The general consensus has been for many years now that you MUST change jobs ever 2 or 3 years to see big bumps in pay. I'd like to stay as positive as possible in this discussion and would really like some other perspectives.

The organization I work for has recently expanded statewide. I started with them about 19 months ago working with doing single sign-on and secure remote access administration. The SSO stuff really took off BIG time at the affiliate I work for. My work has attracted the attention of our corporate leadership and they would like to apply what we have done at our site state-wide. Even though I'm responsible for other systems, I've worked myself into a niche and become an expert with the SSO product (Imprivata) and XenDesktop endpoint architecture (Wyse zero, thin, and converting old Windows computers to operate as thin clients).

In the words of others, the work I've done is a huge contribution. Despite this, I'm being paid between $23 - $26/hour (with healthcare insurance that is costing about $550/month). I think the work I'm doing should be compensated at a higher rate....everyone at my organization asking for a raise is denied and told that ever other year there is a "market analysis" and adjustments are made accordingly.

I like my job because I'm given freedom to work on things mostly proactively and am allowed to think outside of the box, often coming up with innovative solutions. That's what makes work fun for me. Solving complex problems. I also recently bought a house, have bills to pay like the rest of you guys do, and a family to support. We're not real keen on the idea of moving so that I can get that $20 - $30k/year pay bump.

What would you do?
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    The general consensus has been for many years now that you MUST change jobs ever 2 or 3 years to see big bumps in pay.
    That hasn't been my experience. Good companies like to keep strong employees. I was given an umprompted raise within the last month, and my boss genuinely asked me if it was enough to keep me happy for a year. Now, if you earned a certification/degree your company doesn't need, or learned skills that are only relevant to your employer, that's different.
    ever other year there is a "market analysis" and adjustments are made accordingly.
    That means your HR department looks every 2 years at what others at your level in your area make and adjusts your pay accordingly. This is a bit different than a performance raise. In any event, since you get a bump every 2 years, you shouldn't be underpaid for "2-3 years". Did you ask when the last adjustment was and when the next one is coming?
    I've worked myself into a niche and become an expert with (Imprivata) and XenDesktop What would you do?
    Look for other jobs in your area that you're qualified to do. If there are some where you feel the compensation is better, jump ship! If not, you're fairly compensated (and even that market analysis is unlikely to help you much). Are there some you would be qualified for if you did some personal work (certifications/eduction)? Those are the next steps to advance your career. ;)
    We're not real keen on the idea of moving so that I can get that $20 - $30k/year pay bump.
    Don't forget to factor in cost of living differences.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's hard to say without knowing more, e.g. your career history, any degrees, etc. That being said, if your gut feeling is that you're underpaid, it's probably right. If you can find something $20-30K more, that's most likely the right call. Now, money isn't everything, but if you're that underpaid, it's time to start looking or at least push for a raise.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Location also matters. I wouldn't move to NYC to get paid just $20k more but I could think about it if offered $50k more than I make now ;)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its really hard to say if your underpaid without knowing what you are being paid and more about you. However, as pointed out above, if you can get paid 20k more, then by all means, make a move. Its pretty rare to get a significant raise in your current location unless there is chance for upward mobility. Are you learning new skills while there?
  • Options
    Its really hard to say if your underpaid without knowing what you are being paid and more about you. However, as pointed out above, if you can get paid 20k more, then by all means, make a move. Its pretty rare to get a significant raise in your current location unless there is chance for upward mobility. Are you learning new skills while there?

Yeah, I make between $23 - $26/hour...don't feel comfortable being more specific.

I am learning new skills, but the work I'm under the spotlight for is VERY specific. I don't mind that...it's really engaging, but I feel like transitioning to statewide responsibilities and supporting 5x more users and at least that many more PCs that a change in compensation is warranted. (That part I didn't mention earlier, did I?).

Really the answer to this thread is rather simple. It can be stressful making the decisions, but early this morning the answer is more clear to me. Education, certifications, connections.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you feel you're being underpaid, then find new employment that'll pay what you want.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    Yeah, I make between $23 - $26/hour...don't feel comfortable being more specific.

I am learning new skills, but the work I'm under the spotlight for is VERY specific. I don't mind that...it's really engaging, but I feel like transitioning to statewide responsibilities and supporting 5x more users and at least that many more PCs that a change in compensation is warranted. (That part I didn't mention earlier, did I?).

Really the answer to this thread is rather simple. It can be stressful making the decisions, but early this morning the answer is more clear to me. Education, certifications, connections.

You don't lose anything by asking for a raise. Point out how your responisbilities have became 5 folds. You also don't lose anything by looking and applying similar positions in your area if you are feeling underpaid (you probably are if you are feeling it). It's not like you are leaving the job to apply for new job.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    That hasn't been my experience. Good companies like to keep strong employees. I was given an umprompted raise within the last month, and my boss genuinely asked me if it was enough to keep me happy for a year. Now, if you earned a certification/degree your company doesn't need, or learned skills that are only relevant to your employer, that's different.

Unfortunately, that has 100% been my experience. I've ended up moving each time and getting a 25-50% raise. Some companies are run by HR, and no matter how good you are its irrelevant, its pure time in with good yearly reviews, with flat caps on percentages. Just the way it is someplaces.
  • Options
    pert wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that has 100% been my experience. I've ended up moving each time and getting a 25-50% raise. Some companies are run by HR, and no matter how good you are its irrelevant, its pure time in with good yearly reviews, with flat caps on percentages. Just the way it is someplaces.

I believe it. It's a big field. At most companies I've worked at, the executives who make the money--e.g., those in charge of sales and/or producing the company's products/services--have much more clout than HR, and sometimes more than the CEO. In one where my management was weak relative to HR, they got around HR policies with creative titling. For example, when they decided to cut receptionists, our (awesome) receptionist was re-classified as a "jr network engineer"! :)

Of course, at many companies IT is about supporting business goals and efficiency rather than making money. In that case, the management will typically have less political clout and capital to achieve these sorts of positive changes.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pay <> Job Satisfaction

I noticed that although the former is important, the latter usually wins.
    Iat many companies IT is about supporting business goals and efficiency rather than making money.

IT never makes money and executives always seem to see IT as expensive necessity
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    IT never makes money and executives always seem to see IT as expensive necessity

A hospital near me recently went paperless, a case of pouring more money into IT reaping a cost savings for the business as a whole. If you're Verizon, certainly having a good network is a money-maker ("Can you hear me now?"). :)
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    There are industries where IT does generate revenue, just that its a minority. You always have a huge amount of red tape if youre not generating revenue.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pert wrote: »
    Some companies are run by HR, and no matter how good you are its irrelevant, its pure time in with good yearly reviews, with flat caps on percentages. Just the way it is someplaces.

It has been this way at every company I have worked for, to this point.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    After thinking on this for a few days, here is what I've decided....

I've been here for roughly 1.5 years and could benefit from staying longer. I'm going to emphasize business connections on linkedin, keep a good relationship with the vendors I work with, continue working on MORE certifications, and continue to push forward with more and more innovative solutions. I'll maintain my resume and keep track of my accomplishments, then at the 2 year mark I'm going to reevaluate and possibly talk to some recruiting firms. I'll take any better offers back to my employer and give them the choice of giving me a raise or me putting in 30 days notice.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    After thinking on this for a few days, here is what I've decided....

I've been here for roughly 1.5 years and could benefit from staying longer. I'm going to emphasize business connections on linkedin, keep a good relationship with the vendors I work with, continue working on MORE certifications, and continue to push forward with more and more innovative solutions. I'll maintain my resume and keep track of my accomplishments, then at the 2 year mark I'm going to reevaluate and possibly talk to some recruiting firms. I'll take any better offers back to my employer and give them the choice of giving me a raise or me putting in 30 days notice.

Just my 2 cents:
    Don't do ultimatums, those never worked out. Be diplomatic. Tell them about your increased role and responsibilities, point them out your accomplishments (at work and personal, such as certs) and how your contributions are helping the company. If you are being ignored, start applying for other jobs. If you got it, you can decide to move or see if you can get counter-offer (the choice is up to you). Meanwhile, keep getting certs to help you out with job search (it's also about the knowledge gained in pursuit of the certs).