Options

VTP client

asrivastava0202asrivastava0202 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I want to ask a silly question. If the Switches are in VTP client mode, they donot store information about the VLAN. How they assign port to VLAN when they reload and get the data base of VLAN from VTP server.

Also is there any way if my VTP server goes down to have a backup of VTP server switch so that my network.

Please suggest. My first post;)

Thanks
Ashutosh

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    You can have more than one vtp server on the same domain. The clients get the vlan information from the vtp servers.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    asrivastava0202asrivastava0202 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Want to simplify things here........There are two qustion.
    1- What is backup plan of Cisco if the VTP server fails. We have to manually change one of the VTP client to VTP server or any automated method like STP. If we have two VTP server how client choose to get the update from these two any kind of priority we can set between two server or client can choose any one randomly

2- If client switch obtain the VLAN data base from VTP Server and never save them in NVRAM.. When they startup they receive the VLAN database all the VLAN created. Now how they assign port to specific VLAN.
  • Options
    Samo3411Samo3411 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you not understanding correctly whats a vtp server and a vtp client is : VTP Server is a switch that allow you to change or create VLANs, and it will send this changes to other switches, VTP Client is not permitted to do any changes on Vlans it can only receive changes from VTP Server but both server and client have a Vlan.dat file in Flash where they store vlans configuration and not in NVRAM. so if you reload a vtp client switch it will use its own vlan database . ..to make it simple imagine a teacher (server) and student (Clients) none of the students is allowed to teach because they not teachers... now when the teacher give information about some thing all student will write it down next time they need this information(reload) they will check their own notebooks and not ask the teacher.