Options

One job offer and 1 interview for job #2, Help..

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
OK so a little background. I have gone through the process for job #1 and they are going to offer me the position of network engineer sometime today or tomorrow, pending a reference check which will come back positive. That process has taken about 6 weeks from start to finish where we are now. In the last week I have had another interview with job #2 since I was like why not I'm waiting around anyways. They liked me so much they pushed my final interview to this Friday as they know I had this other offer. To clarify I would prefer job #2 as the pay is greater and more desirable location.

So with that said I would prefer job #2 but it is no way guaranteed as I still have a final interview on Thursday. If job #1 comes back to me today and offers me the job, what do I say? Something like... "Sorry I have another interview for somewhere else I would prefer going to on Thursday. Let me wait and see if I get that one first."

Has anyone been in this position? Is it OK to ask them if I can think about the offer for 3-4 days?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I was in this position some months ago. Actually it was the same as yours. I simply asked if I can have a few days to think about it and they were fine with it. In other words - it does happen. Some companies do not expect an immediate answer but some do, in my experience. Maybe just ask them in what time frame they want your answer?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Been in that position before. What is your notice period ? Nothing stops you to start working in job #1 and resign straight away "for personal reasons" ... For example, if you said to job #2 your current notice is X - it is likely to be less or the same in job #1 (probation?).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Been in this situation several times, with more compressed timelines, as companies don't have six weeks to make an offer.
    If job #1 comes back to me today and offers me the job, what do I say?
    "Wow, thank you! That's a good offer. This is a big change and I'd like to talk it over with my family this weekend. Can I get back to you on Monday?" Remember, they made you wait six weeks, so a weekend should be acceptable.
    They liked me so much they pushed my final interview to this Friday as they know I had this other offer.
    While that's something, I'd tell company #2 if they're interested you'll need an offer by Monday at noon. You'd love to work there. And you'll push for a delay with company #1, but it's not good business to throw out a good bird in the hand. I would be completely transparent in advance. Otherwise, your thinking period will expire, and you'll still be wondering what to do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! I will keep you updated. I think I will go with asking them if I can have the week-end to think about it.

BTW job #2 knows completely of the situation that job#1 has basically offered me the job so they know the time constraints. I think that is why they pushed the interview up so fast.
  • Options
    Samo3411Samo3411 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suggest you take job#1 and if you get offered job#2 just give notice and leave, remember that job#1 is already in your hand while you not sure yet about job#2 so don't leave what's sure for what's not sure. plus when you are new starter your notice period is short normally one week and they can't harm your career because you not putting them on your cv anyway.
  • Options
    Samo3411 wrote: »
    I suggest you take job#1 and if you get offered job#2 just give notice and leave, and they can't harm your career because you not putting them on your cv anyway.
    IT is a small world. You'd be surprised how much word of your deeds and colleagues get around. I wouldn't consider burning a company and bridge unless you're nearing retirement or plan to move to the other coast soon.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Is it OK to ask them if I can think about the offer for 3-4 days?

Yes - totally OK. Most people I hire ask for a few days to think about it. I tend to appreciate that they are taking this decision seriously and don't mind waiting 3-4 days (max).
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ask for some time to consider the offer. If you can't stall any longer with that tactic, go ahead and accept the offer, and give them a start date as far into the future as reasonable (2 weeks plus a few days for personal time is pretty typical from what I have seen, I actually gave 3 1/2 weeks or so to finish a project once).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I disagree with taking job #1 and putting in a notice after you've already accepted it. Like Veteran said it can burn the bridge and word gets around quick. It's important to show that your word means something. By taking that extra step to ask for a few days to think on it, it shows that you have integrity and don't want to waste anyone's time.

Any hiring manager that I would want to associate myself with would look at your situation and respect your request for time to do some soul-searching. No one wants a loose cannon that says yes before thoroughly assessing the situation.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I had close to the exact same situation 2 months ago. The only possible difference was that both jobs were within my current company.

I had interviewed for one position in January and completely forgot about it. Then, I had an interview for another position at the end of February. I felt really good about the interview and the possibility of being offered the position. Later the same day, I received a call from HR with a job offer. I figured that the people I interviewed with that morning had liked me so much that they were making an offer already. I was wrong. They were offering me the position I had interviewed for back in January. I told the person on the phone that I had just had another interview and may have another offer coming, but they didn't really care.

I emailed the hiring manager that I had just interviewed with, told him the situation and told him that I would be much more interested in his position. He contacted HR and asked them to give me more time to decide on the other job offer so that he had time to decide whether or not to make me an offer. At that time, I received another call from HR and was told that I would have an extra week to decide.

At the end of the week, I received the offer for the second position, accepted it, and officially turned the other down. Then, I sent a personal email to the hiring manager for the position I turned down, thanking him for his interest and apologizing for having to turn it down.

I guess none of this would work when dealing with two different companies, but reaching out to the two parties and requesting more time is the key.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    IT is a small world. You'd be surprised how much word of your deeds and colleagues get around. I wouldn't consider burning a company and bridge unless you're nearing retirement or plan to move to the other coast soon.

This isn't untrue, but taking a job and changing your mind before your start date is hardly bridge burning. I've been hired and have had the company change THEIR mind before the start date. Its not pretty, but its business. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I had a similar situation in 2011. The day I started at one job, another company called me in for an interview. A month later I was in the last week of training and the second company offered a position starting the immediate Monday. That night I met with my trainer and explained the situation, indicated it was a growth opportunity that I could not afford to pass up that required an immediate start and requested eligibility for rehire in case things went south. I was granted re-hire status and let go the next day instead of working out the week.

That Monday, I roll into my first day of training to see my trainer from company one in the conference room. She had accepted the exact same job I did! Talk about a small world... I think most managers would completely understand taking a better opportunity and the good ones would even congratulate or encourage you. Try not to leave on bad terms though, because your boss today might be your co-worker tomorrow.
  • Options
    So an update:

Job#1 called today and offered me the job (verbal commitment no paperwork). I said I had to talk to my wife about it and the most they could give me was until tomorrow at 5pm to give them a decision. My other interview is at 2pm tomorrow with job #2. Should I just be upfront about it with job #2 at the end of the interview if I think it went well? They are bringing in 8 people to interview me at job#2 i was told so I assume they are serious about it.

What to do?
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    pert wrote: »
    I've been hired and have had the company change THEIR mind before the start date.

Wow, that happens?
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Sucks that they would not give you more time. If it were me, I would definitely be upfront with job #2 after the interview. Let them know the status of job #1 and state that they need a decision before the day is out. They may not be able to give you a definitive answer but they may give you some insight especially if they are leaning to hire you.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    So an update:

Job#1 called today and offered me the job (verbal commitment no paperwork). I said I had to talk to my wife about it and the most they could give me was until tomorrow at 5pm to give them a decision. My other interview is at 2pm tomorrow with job #2. Should I just be upfront about it with job #2 at the end of the interview if I think it went well? They are bringing in 8 people to interview me at job#2 i was told so I assume they are serious about it.

What to do?

Sure, or if job #2 isn't ready to decide you can just accept job #1 then tell them you changed your mind if job #2 works out. It will burn a bridge of never being able to work for company #1, but its not like there is some permanent record of these things. Its a bit rude but I wouldn't call it unprofessional. Generally companies including clauses in offers that they can withdraw it at any time, for any reason, so why shouldn't you have the same privilege?

Dragging you along for 6 weeks then giving you a day to decide isn't really fair, so I wouldn't worry about taking the offer and cancelling if you get the one you really want.

I might also not even tell job #2 on the interview day, but rather wait until the following Tuesday to follow up with them (except the post interview thank you message I would send Friday mid morning). It is not fair for job #2 to be put on the spot, they are already moving quickly for you.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Could always take job #1 have the interview for Job#2, quit job number if you get job #2
  • Options
    I am prone to agree with MiikeB (as always) in this situation. Accept Job #1 because you HAVE that as of right now. Go through the process with two, but don't pressure them with the details. Follow up a week later if you don't hear from them and let them know you are holding off other offers because you have a high interest in them.

It isn't exactly pretty, but it will work. Either way, congrats!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Been in that position before, process took weeks and then they got back to me asking for a response that day.

I'd ask for a few days to consider the position, ask them for benefit information or something to buy you a few days.

They politely hound company 2.

Just be careful how you do it.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Quick update:

Interview for job #2 today went very well. The only downside is they won't let me know until end of next week as they have one more interview with someone else. So I accepted job #1 and if they give me the job at #2 next week Friday I will have an awkward phone call to job #1. Feels shady icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Quick update:

Interview for job #2 today went very well. The only downside is they won't let me know until end of next week as they have one more interview with someone else. So I accepted job #1 and if they give me the job at #2 next week Friday I will have an awkward phone call to job #1. Feels shady icon_sad.gif

It is good that it doesn't feel great, it shows that you have some empathy, however you cannot let the desire to not hurt company 1 stop you from advancing your personal goals. Company 1 would probably not enjoy laying you off, however if it is what keeping the business profitable required they would.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Company 1 would probably not enjoy laying you off, however if it is what keeping the business profitable required they would.
    That's not quite apples to apples. A more alike reverse situation would be a company hiring you, you sign and return their offer letter and give notice to your existing company, then they lay you off because someone better applied.

I've personally never experienced that and can't remember that happening to any of my colleagues. I don't see valuing integrity--and I recognize definitions differ--as blocking my personal goals, but rather supporting them. I tend to think longer-term than when I was younger. Reputation is valuable in business dealings and life. It's a bit easier for others to trust you when they know you mean what you say, and even for you to trust others when you aren't yourself doing something that the OP admits "feels shady".
  • Options
    @NetworkVeteran

It sounds like you think the only appropriate action at this point is to cancel all future interviews and decline any job offers. If someone approached you with your dream company/pay/position the minute after you accepted a different job, would you just let it pass you up?

The OP made a decision based on the facts at hand. If the facts change, he should have the right to re-evaluate his position. If a better offer comes up in the future, why would he not take it? You indicate you look long term now more than when you were younger, but then you imply that the OP should hold himself or his happiness back because of a decision in the past.

@OP

I am not quite sure what is so "shady" about this. You have made a business deal with whatever company you have agreed to work with. Both parties understand at the start that this deal can be terminated at any time for any reason. If a better deal comes along, bet your bottom dollar that the company would take it.

Your word should most certainly count for something, I agree with that stance 110%. But you have not lied to company 1 and you have not decieved them either. At this moment, you intend to keep your word and work at the described time for the pre-determined sum of benefits. If a new deal comes along, you have every right to consider it and accept if you want.
  • Options
    It sounds like you think the only appropriate action at this point is to cancel all future interviews and decline any job offers.

My original advice is what I've done in practice--
    "Wow, thank you! That's a good offer. This is a big change and I'd like to talk it over with my family this weekend. Can I get back to you on Monday?" Remember, they made you wait six weeks, so a weekend should be acceptable.

This isn't exactly falling on my sword. Asking for a reasonable amount of time to decide entails only a little risk, and he would have had four more days to get a better idea of how the other offer was progressing. Similarly, I press the other company to make their decision within the available time frame. There's sometimes a bit of give and take by all parties.

But yes, if I commit to something, I do it, if humanly possible.
    You indicate you look long term now more than when you were younger, but then you imply that the OP should hold himself or his happiness back because of a decision in the past.
    What I meant was, when I was a bit younger, I was less likely to forsee the long-term consequences of my actions. I did what I did because it was the right thing to do. It took me years to realize those same people I inspired or helped popped up at job after job and often came back to help me. I also have a friend whose mom played a prank on her supervisor before quitting. It's been years, and she can't get anyone to hire her, even with a new degree. Who'd have thunk it?
    If a better deal comes along, bet your bottom dollar that the company would take it.
    The business and I are both out to make money, but we're not mercenaries. I've had the opportunity to work for some great companies, that stood by troubled employees, and made a ton selling great products and services.
    Your word should most certainly count for something, I agree with that stance 110%. At this moment, you intend to keep your word and work at the described time for the pre-determined sum of benefits.
    In a forum so diverse, we won't see eye-to-eye on every topic.

Peace, mate.
  • Options
    Final Update:

I accepted the second job as it was a better opportunity I believe. I did call back the first job and explain in full what happened and remarkably they said I still had till the following monday to think about it before they started with their second candidate. I did not expect that but they seem like a nice company and understanding.

I guess I feel less "shady" now after the whole thing went down. I start next monday! The commute will be killer as it's a 1 hour drive each way until we buy a house closer to the job which we are looking though icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, glad to hear that it all worked out for you. So is this position a network engineer position also?
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    You said you were favoring job #2 based on higher salary and a shorter commute. If job #2 is 1 hour commute then job #1 must've been ridiculous!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2