Options

Network Engineering Positions

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
I have been looking around lately to see what all employers are looking for when it comes to network engineers. I'm finding that a lot of jobs are looking for people with CCIE level R+S knowledge, but then want either extensive security or voice experience as well. Some are even listing all 3. How do you break out of being just a network technician and into network engineering when the requirements for entry are so high? I work at a small place with only 3 network engineers, but none of them have that much experience, and my last place of employment was a large company that split all 3 into 3 different job categories. I'm wondering just how common this is around the country or if this is just happening in my area?

Comments

• Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think most of what we are seeing is from the HR department... and the ideal candidate for certain positions. I wouldn't let that hold you back from applying. Over the past year.. I've seen postings with job skill requirements... honestly... no one could ever fill.

Just my $.02 about it all.
    Frank
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jackace wrote: »
    I'm finding that a lot of jobs are looking for people with CCIE level R+S knowledge, but then want either extensive security or voice experience as well. Some are even listing all 3. How do you break out of being just a network technician and into network engineering when the requirements for entry are so high?
    Those aren't entry-level positions. They're advanced positions for folks with drive and experience. ;)

I would suggest working at roles that stretch you, where you're a little fish in a big pond. Strive to do your best. Learn whatever skills are marketable and would help you do a better job. In six years or so, if you keep at it, you'll be where you want to be. Or, perhaps, like many you will work hard for a spell but then your focus and goals will change. Time will tell.
    I work at a small place with only 3 network engineers, but none of them have that much experience
    Most of my team mates are CCIEs with extensive experience.
    I'm wondering just how common this is around the country or if this is just happening in my area?
    Demand for highly-qualified individuals is quite common in big cities. Smaller locales often can't afford them.
  • Options
    Those aren't entry-level positions. They're advanced positions for folks with drive and a decade of experience. ;)

Seems every job posting is either ones like I posted or one like I have now. There just doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
    I would suggest working at roles that stretch you, where you're a little fish in a big pond. Strive to do your best. Learn whatever skills are marketable and would help you do a better job. In time, if you keep at it, you'll be where you want to be. Or, perhaps you will work hard for a spell but then your focus and goals will change over time.

This is what I am trying to do. My current role was a nice stretch when I took the job. I'm now a few weeks (hopefully) away from my CCNP and I have learned most of what I can from my current role. Now that I have got the hang of my current job I spend more time studying for certifications then doing actual work. Like today I spent a good 5 hours reading Cisco LAN Switching, lining up books for QoS and Multicast to start studying for my CCIE, and playing with some MPLS in GNS3. I don't plan to leave my current job right away. I am just looking to see what is out there in the job market right now.
    Most of my team members are CCIEs.

We have 2 CCIEs as Engineers as well, but neither of them is at the CCNP Security or Voice level let alone the CCIE level for those specializations.
    Demand for highly-qualified individuals is common in most big cities. Smaller locales may not be able to pay their rates.

I understand that, but I'm in a smaller market and the markets around me are smaller as well. All the network job postings that don't have some kind of windows server support requirement are like this.
  • Options
    Seems every job posting is either ones like I posted or one like I have now. There just doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
    Where abouts are you? I'd be surprised if there were an area where a monster.com search for "CCIE" and "CCNA" find matches but "CCNP" does not. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I wonder if you're overlooking something.
    We have 2 CCIEs as Engineers as well, but neither of them is at the CCNP Security or Voice level let alone the CCIE level for those specializations.
    I have team mates who are strong and certified so in multiple areas. I guess I'm getting there, too! I love the experience and compensation, although I certainly am not yet ready to be a CCIE in any particular area. :)
  • Options
    Where abouts are you? I'd be surprised if there were an area where a monster.com search for "CCIE" and "CCNA" find matches but "CCNP" does not. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I wonder if you're overlooking something.

Oh there are job postings that come up with CCNP listed, but they usually say CCIE preferred and then say something like "extensive voice background required.

Edit- I'm in Idaho right now, but I have been looking in surrounding areas as well. I have been hoping to stay in the area because of family, but the more specialized I go into networking the more I find that this area just doesn't offer the opportunities needed to grow professionally.
  • Options
    Oh there are job postings that come up with CCNP listed, but they usually say CCIE preferred and then say something like "extensive voice background required.
    Ahh. If you fully meet the requirements, I wouldn't worry too much about preferences. A CCNP with a few years of experience should be just fine. In parallel with working on your CCNP, is there any way for you to get VoIP experience?

(Since you've now mentioned that twice, perhaps that's very important where you are.)
  • Options
    Ahh. If you fully meet the requirements, I wouldn't worry too much about preferences. A CCNP with a few years of experience should be just fine. In parallel with working on your CCNP, is there any way for you to get VoIP experience?

(Since you've now mentioned that twice, perhaps that's very important where you are.)

I have the study material for CCNA Voice, but at work I don't have access to any VoIP, we are a service provider so it is a lot of BGP, MPLS, and EVCs. That is my current job, turning up new customers and building new circuits.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The positions you are looking at want someone that has been around and done a lot of things. It's not out of the question for someone to have experience in voice, security, data center and service provider networks. I've done all these jobs in my career. It just takes time!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    As I learned recently - don't put so much thought into the requirements. You often get hired when being a 60-70% match of what they list.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.