Options

Has Anyone Gone To ITT Tech or Devry?

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm currently considering these as options for school. Has anyone gone and if so how was the experience?
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Raywire86Raywire86 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice is to go to a community college and get your education done as cheaply as possible.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Look up previous threads on thoughts as there are many. Avoid ITT Tech at all costs for sure!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Half of TE goes to WGU, have you considered it? From what I've read, it's a win-win.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    I'm currently considering these as options for school. Has anyone gone and if so how was the experience?

I would highly suggest avoiding for-profit colleges and universities. They are simply there to get as much money out of you as possible. My girlfriend taught as an adjunct "professor" of graphic design at ITT for a few years part-time, she told me many, many horror stories about how terrible the curriculum was and how she wasnt allowed to fail students, regardless of how poorly they performed.

As a few others have mentioned, WGU is a great option. They are legitimate educational institution, non-profit and entirely based online. From what I hear they are relatively inexpensive as well. According to my GF, the average 4 year cost for ITT comes out to something insane like $60k for a Bachelors.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the money to waste then DeVry would be the choice hands down between the 2. I know not everyone can learn the WGU way (self study) and I sometimes have a hard time keeping focus on the subject I'm working on. With that UAT is another "cheaper" choice for a degree. They are a little more expensive the WGU but their classes are structured and 1 at a time for a few weeks instead of at your own pace. The biggest difference for me was that WGU not only gets you a bachelors but several certs as well. I'd also look into local community colleges. Not all community colleges are worth going to if you want to learn so ask people that have gone if they thought it was worth it and which adjuncts to avoid. Some (like my own) are a Cisco Academy, so by taking the networking degree you take the 4 Academy courses for the CCNA and get a voucher to take it after passing the 4 classes.

So don't blindly go to WGU simply because a lot of the senior member of TE have or are going to it. Look into other alternatives and align them with the learning style that fits you best. With that WGU is the least expensive degree I've seen with the most bang (degree + certs).
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    What makes people consider schools like DeVry and ITT?
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    If you have the money to waste then DeVry would be the choice hands down between the 2. I know not everyone can learn the WGU way (self study) and I sometimes have a hard time keeping focus on the subject I'm working on. With that UAT is another "cheaper" choice for a degree. They are a little more expensive the WGU but their classes are structured and 1 at a time for a few weeks instead of at your own pace. The biggest difference for me was that WGU not only gets you a bachelors but several certs as well. I'd also look into local community colleges. Not all community colleges are worth going to if you want to learn so ask people that have gone if they thought it was worth it and which adjuncts to avoid. Some (like my own) are a Cisco Academy, so by taking the networking degree you take the 4 Academy courses for the CCNA and get a voucher to take it after passing the 4 classes.

So don't blindly go to WGU simply because a lot of the senior member of TE have or are going to it. Look into other alternatives and align them with the learning style that fits you best. With that WGU is the least expensive degree I've seen with the most bang (degree + certs).

Thanks for the great advice. I just completed a semester at a community college and feel like the courses do not offer much. I've definitely considered WGU, but I'm going to now look at UAT. After reading the replies in here I'll definitely avoid Devry & ITT Tech.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do a search on the forums. We've had a few long discussion on these schools with differing opinions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    You're in Chicago, the place of plenty of great schools.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    You're in Chicago, the place of plenty of great schools.

True, but it's a matter of finding the one that works.
  • Options
    Lots of them are offering online degrees if that's what you're looking for. UIC, DePaul, University of Chicago and Northwestern. All good places to network too.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sratakhin wrote: »

Lots of TV commercials? Really, I think that is the only way people know about them, I doubt all your friends are singing the praises of the education they got there, they are just common names because we've probably all seen a bunch of commercials, print ads and billboards for them.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I lived in Chicagoland for a few years. I've checked out Northwestern University and DePaul University and contacted some of their admission people to ask questions. DePaul was the one I wanted to go to because they have a networking degree. I still want to go to DePaul for MS but still debating on that. While I can get the MS for free, it'll take about 5 or 6 years for me to finish since my employer will only pay about $5K/year. That 5 or 6 years of studying would probably better if I concentrate in getting my CCIE.

Anyway, if I went to DePaul, it would take a lot longer for me to finish (which I didnt want to do) and also would've paid more money because a lot of my college credits do not align with their program. That's when I decided to just go to DeVry Addison campus (though some classes were taken online due to my work schedule) because their BS Technical Management (took a lot of their BS NCM classes) was so flexible that I was able to carry 60+ college credits going in so the loan was going to be lesser than I wanted to borrow. I was already working in the field of networking at the time so I figured if I get a BS degree that's one less thing to worry about in the future once I leave the employer I was with. Now, competing with guys who went to a better school is a completely different subject.

Had I known about WGU before, I would've considered it as well since it'll be way less more money than what I paid DeVry. Though, I gotta be honest, I do not like their networking program but price was always been an important factor and the amount of time I need to put in. Again, my way of thinking was I needed only a check mark on HR's checklist.

Most of the people who interviewed and hired me didn't really care about my degree or where I got it from. All they cared about was my experience. Probably one of them cared about my certifications but overall I'd say experience. That's why you see a lot of drop outs and/or no college degrees in a lot of IT positions because there are companies out there that do not care about your degree. Though, I gotta say that my former employer in Chicagoland started getting rid of people with no college degree in management and/or director level that have been in their position for many many years.

Good luck with your decision. Choose wisely. It's not where you got your education from, it's your experience and how you hone your craft that is important, IMHO.
  • Options
    Agreed with networkjutsu. My degree is BSTM from DeVry. It cost a bit too much in the long run but the program suited my needs perfectly and I don't really regret it.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301

They literally take everyone and they hold your hand through the whole process. Many people are intimidated by traditional universities, especially those who haven't taken a single class in 5+ years. A traditional school simply puts out an application, deadline and tells you to get your FAFSA done and talk to banks about financing. They do have some counselors that can offer you some advice but it is nothing like a for profit school.

These for profit schools you talk to someone, they will sit down and do a FAFSA with you, arrange your financing where all you have to do is sign on the dotted line etc. People are so brainwashed by the "College is the key to a successful, happy life" message that they ignore the ridiculous cost, high interest rates and lack of accreditation. They may not even know what these things are, they just know the nice lady at ITT is so helpful and before they know it they will be graduating with a degree and a $65k/yr job.

Even uglier is when people wise up 2 years in and start looking at other colleges and find out NONE (ok MAYBE 2-3) of the classes will transfer to a traditional, accredited university. At that point they are either stuck starting over or finishing up at Devry/ITT. Usually the better, and cheaper, option is to start over. It really is that bad.

I don't know the exact tuition but a buddy who went to ECPI, a similar school to ITT, said it cost him about $30,000 a year after all the fees etc.

*to clarify, this is mostly about ITT Tech/ECPI, I am not as sure on Devry. I have heard it has a better reputation but don't know much about it. Also, I am not saying no one who goes to these schools can be smart or successful, but I feel they could make better choices and would be successful despite their choice of school. I strongly feel these schools do nothing to prepare you for success, and if you just want a piece of paper to put on your resume there are much better and cheaper options.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CoreyB80 look at Moraine Valley Community College they offer a lot of Programs, relatively cheap, or get FA if need be. The IT programs aren't to bad or get into there Computer Science transfer program that transfers to a host of colleges in IL.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ITT and similar tech schools prey upon those who want a quick path to a "rewarding career making X amount of dollars!" Especially those stuck in lower incomes that are desperate. Then they become in debt for the rest of their lives while having nothing to show for it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pretty much everything has been said but mostly around here its because they are not capable of getting into a good school or regular state school. To avoid going to a community college thinking it wont look good for high paying jobs they go into these schools. They end up regretting it big time and I'm glad I did my bachelors in a state school and commute was super short drive. No debt at all after I graduated at least I can say that.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know what is available in Chicago, but in North Carolina, the public community college system has the same courses for much cheaper, and you get out with a 2-year degree with many courses that will transfer into the public university system.

People generally commit to ITT because of the radio ads promising "60, 70, 80 thousand or more in 6 months and have the lifestyle you deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I cannot come up with one compelling reason a person ought to go to ITT or Devry over WGU. I can't even come up with a bad reason. Even buying your degree from ITT will likely take more time, money, and overall effort than WGU and you get less from it.

There are obviously lots of factors to balance in picking a college. Cost, value/prestige, convenience, workload, total time required, difficulty, and actual educational value come to mind as primary factors. I just can't see either ITT or Devry beating WGU in any of them.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Please do NOT go to ITT. I went to ITT back in 2006-2007 and everything there was outdated. Books were from 2001, PCs were running ME, all the teachers read directly from the book and couldn't answer simple questions. It was terrible.

I went there for a year and decided I had to leave, because my friend who was also going there (but finished earlier) said the degree isn't even "real" and people don't take it seriously at all...because the school is basically a joke. So while I left early and that was my own choice, I owed $36,000 just for going there for one year, and getting absolutely nothing out of it. Still paying that off...$14,000 left.

But please, save yourself a boatload of money and the aggravation. ITT was the biggest mistake of my life and would never recommend it to anyone.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    blargoe wrote: »
    People generally commit to ITT because of the radio ads promising "60, 70, 80 thousand or more in 6 months and have the lifestyle you deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

60, 70, 80 thousand or more of debt in just 6 months? ;)
  • Options
    eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man what is even worse is how there is more degree holding graduates out there from better schools who cant find work and then you think you have a chance because of a piece of paper when the school is seen as a joke and have over 50k debt now with no good paying job or let alone a job.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    It will either be back to the community college or WGU for me this fall. I refuse to rack up anymore student loans than I have to.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

To add to other replies. . . flexibility. For-profit schools generally have courses available year-round and/or online, two options which are still not available through many non-profit schools.

Want to get rolling in mid-summer on a degree program with your local community college? Sorry, Charlie, gotta wait until September. Oh, and your classes will take four whopping months each. Then people wonder why the US is lagging in the higher education department, let alone why so many people have their careers stall.

There are less expensive options than Devry, such as WGU, to be sure. These don't necessarily work for all students, though.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good decision. Too many great colleges in Chicagoland. Many traditional colleges and universities are more flexible than you might think. I took 75% of my courses for my Master of Science from the University of Texas online in 2000-2002.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I don't know the exact tuition but a buddy who went to ECPI, a similar school to ITT, said it cost him about $30,000 a year after all the fees etc.

*to clarify, this is mostly about ITT Tech/ECPI, I am not as sure on Devry. I have heard it has a better reputation but don't know much about it. Also, I am not saying no one who goes to these schools can be smart or successful, but I feel they could make better choices and would be successful despite their choice of school. I strongly feel these schools do nothing to prepare you for success, and if you just want a piece of paper to put on your resume there are much better and cheaper options.

I attended ECPI back in 2004. It cost me around $20,000 for an Associate's Degree. Yes, it was expensive but no major University in my area was offering a networking degree back then. I was set up with a job right out of school making 40K a year at 20 years old thanks to attending ECPI. The classes were good and we had extensive Cisco labs to use every day.

Just wanted to vouch for ECPI here. Expensive, yes...but crappy school with commercials trying to sell you something? Not exactly. The CIA recruits ECPI students btw or at least they did a few years ago.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    I owed $36,000 just for going there for one year, and getting absolutely nothing out of it.

Wow, I didn't even know they charged way more than DeVry. When I got out of DeVry (approximately 18 months), I only owed the bank less than $25K. After few weeks of graduation, I paid the bank in full.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i met some guy that graduated from devry and got a job w/ intel
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MiikeB wrote: »
    They literally take everyone and they hold your hand through the whole process. Many people are intimidated by traditional universities, especially those who haven't taken a single class in 5+ years. A traditional school simply puts out an application, deadline and tells you to get your FAFSA done and talk to banks about financing. They do have some counselors that can offer you some advice but it is nothing like a for profit school.

These for profit schools you talk to someone, they will sit down and do a FAFSA with you, arrange your financing where all you have to do is sign on the dotted line etc. People are so brainwashed by the "College is the key to a successful, happy life" message that they ignore the ridiculous cost, high interest rates and lack of accreditation. They may not even know what these things are, they just know the nice lady at ITT is so helpful and before they know it they will be graduating with a degree and a $65k/yr job.

Even uglier is when people wise up 2 years in and start looking at other colleges and find out NONE (ok MAYBE 2-3) of the classes will transfer to a traditional, accredited university. At that point they are either stuck starting over or finishing up at Devry/ITT. Usually the better, and cheaper, option is to start over. It really is that bad.

I went to a school similar to ITT Tech and I can totally agree with Mike’s Statement. These FOR PROFIT schools charge full tuition and promise that they will help you get a job. They just send you job leads via email. This is one of their selling points. Not to mention that most of these school’s credits won’t transfer to other schools.
    If you do decide to go a full profit school makes sure you look at transfer rates. Make sure that it’s regional accredited. Most of these for profit school are not regional accredited.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor