Options

Where did you find your first IT job at?

kylepossiblekylepossible Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been searching craigslist/dice and careerbuilder to no avail.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know everyone says, "it's who you know" and it's true in IT too. The first official IT job I had was because a friend worked at a local company and the company next door to them said they needed someone, he called me, interviewed and started.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just kept searching and applying. Someone eventually called me back!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    add indeed.com to that list. I found my first IT job on indeed, and my second on craigslist. Keep looking you'll find something eventually.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try out monster.com, I just recently got a job from an employer finding my resume on there.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    A buddy I played Counterstrike with was hiring :)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yup exactly how it happened for me. I was applying mostly on dice, careerbuilder, and craigslist. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    rensationalrensational Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First one was through a local college's career service job postings site, and it wasn't really even my college. The next one was through Craigslist. I've never had luck with Indeed or Monster.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There was a posting on the listserv for at the university I attended looking for someone to work part-time. He was looking for cheap, cheap labor. I gladly accepted.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210

Same here. Everything networking related on the net :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also try the staffing agencies.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are actively looking and using the major job sites (Indeed, Monster, Dice, etc) post your resume a few times a week. Why? Recruiters/employers look for the latest resumes and this way it keeps yours towards the top.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    If you are actively looking and using the major job sites (Indeed, Monster, Dice, etc) post your resume a few times a week. Why? Recruiters/employers look for the latest resumes and this way it keeps yours towards the top.

Thanks for the advice. I'm about to follow this beginning now.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found mine directly on the companies web site. It wasn't really advertised, so that, an edu-jobs site, and a listserv the CTO uses were the only places you could see the posting.

Check the websites of local companies who you wouldn't mind working for. I'd say to check the newspaper too. Believe it or not, that still exists...for the time being. Also try simplyhired.com.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Doing IT favors for friends neighbors, landed me pretty sweet gig in high school.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    My dad got me an internship at an old company he was working at. Took it from there.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A guy I used to work with told me that the company he used to work for was hiring so I applied. I am sure he kept bugging the managers to look for my application since I bet there are a lot of applicants.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found mine on a community college job board... they were looking for inexperienced tech. it doesn't pay great but pays the bills and they work with my school schedule.
  • Options
    ObsquaciousObsquacious Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got mighty blessed. I graduated from tech school in 07 with an AA geared towards electronics repair. On my 6th anniversary I was offered and accepted a job in the IT department of my first job out of tech school. I have been reading this forum since I took the position (as I am working on 70-680 for my test in 2 weeks, and 70-686 a while after that), and it really makes me appreciate where I ended up.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For IT, someone I did a good turn for, did a good turn for me and asked their friend to submit my resume. With a degree and a CCNA, it was easy to find interested employers, and it was a question of finding the best one for me.

For one of my non-IT jobs, I sent my resume w/ a personalized cover letter to an employer a day for two or three months. There are many ways in depending on your individual talents (teaching? social networks?) and persistance. I remember others who wanted to break in gave up after "too many" rejections, but I viewed them as little bumps on the road to success.

I wouldn't worry. You'll have better luck after you complete your A+.
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a friend from church who was a student worker in the IT dept of the local university. She helped me get as a student in the Networking group, where I worked for 2.5 years.

Because of that experience and the IT-related work I had done in other jobs (in fields that are only tangentially related to IT), I was recently hired full-time at the university's Help Desk. I hope to get back into networking & VOIP at some point, but for now, I'm enjoying the Help Desk experience, though it's quite an expansion from networking.

One step at a time is the key, I think. And the saying "It's who you know" has definitely been true in my case.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I was lucky I found my first internship during college around 2006-7. During that time there were a ton of paid internships, I did 2 paid internships during my senior year of college. With the internships i had it wasn't too difficult finding a job... but this was in 2007 and the job market was a ton better then.

I think it's alot harder to break into the IT field now.. make sure you're applying for jobs you're qualified for.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got my initial experience while in the military. When I got out I had 4 years of IT experience and a clearance. I was able to find a job fairly quickly.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of the major reasons I attended school where I went was because they required an internship in order to graduate. In addition, all students were required to take a resume writing class, which forced you to write a professional resume and gave you practice at writing tailored cover letters. I strategically positioned myself to get the best possible internship by achieving a 4.0 and perfect attendance. On top of that, I practiced interviewing questions and answers in the mirror.

I ended up getting a 17/hr paid "internship" that ended up becoming my full time job at a SOC. The company treated me from day one as a new hire and not an intern. Looking back, the hard work was definitely worth it.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    +1 for Indeed. I check it once a week. As for finding jobs, I would strongly suggest a quick Google search for "Top job providers for LOCATION" or visit your city website. This will find you a list of major companies in the area for you to check out. Once you have a list, start going to their website and searching their career section for IT jobs. My current job with a medical provider was done this way. Like others, though, I do get calls from old co-workers looking for someone to hire or the opposite, so knowing people will help also.

It isn't as easy as a job posting site, but not all companies post positions on those sites. Good luck.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my first job seeking online on career sites on my country.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my first job through my instructor at school.
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knew a guy, who told me that they are hiring(direct recommendation)
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka