Certifications recognized internationally?

nuovoITnuovoIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am beginning to look into getting certifications and just wanted to know if picking up certifications from CompTIA, Microsoft, Oracle, and Cisco will be recognized outside of my home country. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes most of them will be. Some vendors have more recognition is some countries. In Australia for example, CompTIA arent popular while the major players, your Microsofts, Ciscos and Citrix are well recognized.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Those certifications are recognized in many countries. How much they're weighted, vs. experience, education, and other certifications will depend. If you have a specific certification and country in mind, we may be able to provide more guidance.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Cisco and Microsoft are recognized absolutely everywhere. CompTIA on the other hand is also recognized but in some parts of Europe it does not hold as much weight as in the US.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • nuovoITnuovoIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    May hopefully be relocating to Switzerland. The certifications I will be looking to get are: A+/Network+/Security+ trio, CCNA, CCDA, MSCA. More specifically, what certifications would you say hold the most weight in Switzerland and the EU countries? Oracle certifications in databases seem to not be as popular here, is that the case in Europe? Red Hat may also be of interest to me at a later time.

@Master of Puppets: Is the Network+ as widely available as the CCENT? Did you decide on the CCENT for any particular reason?
    Thanks.
  • jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA doesn't mean much in the UK and isn't that well known. Any brand certs are as valuable as anywhere else though.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a few Pommy mates and none of them ever bothered with any CompTIA stuff.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Cisco and Microsoft are recognized absolutely everywhere. CompTIA on the other hand is also recognized but in some parts of Europe it does not hold as much weight as in the US.

I agree, however it is gaining ground as Comptia Certs have been mapped to the SFIA and have been integrated into several academic programs.
    nuovoIT wrote: »
    May hopefully be relocating to Switzerland. The certifications I will be looking to get are: A+/Network+/Security+ trio, CCNA, CCDA, MSCA. More specifically, what certifications would you say hold the most weight in Switzerland and the EU countries? Oracle certifications in databases seem to not be as popular here, is that the case in Europe? Red Hat may also be of interest to me at a later time...

When you say "hold the most weight", what do you mean? To get a visa for switzerland? To get a job there?

While I can't speak for the whole of europe, generally speaking you would normally have a "good" level of education and the certifications that you hold should reflect the experience that you have.

Then there's the individual organisations out there and their view and/or understanding of the certification arena. For example having the MCSE but no experience could be flagged as a red herring in some companies, some companies have poor understanding and will say that the MCITP is essential but the MCTS is desirable, some companies will say great you have a CCDA while others will say "so what" we don't have any Cisco kit and the list goes on...

As for good level of education, this can also be a "fuzzy" term. For one company it may mean a BSc/BA, for another it could be GCSE/A level/high school, for some it may mean one or more types of education (eg academic, professional, vocational), for some it may be your work experience (learning on the job/CPD) and for others it may even be a combination of the above...