Options

Unrelated IT Degree/CCNA - What is a realistic career path?

ncisivencisive Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone!

This is yet another what to do with a CCNA thread. Hopefully some of you guys can give me some realistic expectations. I have a B.S. in Hospitality Management from a state school. I recently decided that I wanted to go into the technology field so I Have now been in networking tech support (Help Desk) for three months.

I have literally lived and breathed ccent material for the last month. I am taking the test next week and I feel confident. I will then start immediatly studying for my CCNA and take that in another month or so if I pass.

I don't really see anything going anywhere with my company and I really want to move to Texas/California (From the east coast)

What is a realistic time frame before I can start applying for network admin/sys admin jobs or something related? Does anyone have any advice for my particular situation?

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most likely you'll have to start out lower than an admin. And then after you have some experience and your CCNA you can move on to higher level jobs.
  • Options
    O I Completely understand that! I meant after my CCNA. Can I start applying after the 6 months of experience mark? That was my goal and something I am looking forward too lol.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ncisive wrote: »
    O I Completely understand that! I meant after my CCNA. Can I start applying after the 6 months of experience mark? That was my goal and something I am looking forward too lol.

I would start applying as soon as you feel ready. There is no harm in it. I left my first job after only 3 months and doubled my income.
    With some Helpdesk or NOC experience and a CCNA you may be able to move up very quickly.
    Since your degree is unrelated it may not help to much in a pure networking type role.

EDIT- I completely did not see you were already working as a Network Tech.
    You could probably advance after a year or so
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I Have now been in networking tech support (Help Desk) for three months.
    I'd aim for a year of experience. After you pass your CCNA, look for opportunities to use your superior networking knowledge for the benefit of your present employer. That's always a good story--not only that you have skills, but you find ways to apply them.

You say the degree is a B.S., which is better than a B.A., but not as good as a more technical one. I would still consider you degree a strong asset. Emphasize any courses you took related to math or technology.
  • Options
    It's a BA I'm sorry for the mistype. My degree will never come into play for IT Jobs? I wasted so much money and time :-/
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

To be honest, is going to be difficult to find Admin/Engineer job position straight after CCNA without experience. At the moment cisco cert have a lot of people and what is really count is experience. Try find entry job in a company, which got lot's of internal position's open. There is lot's of companies who offer internal promotion after certain time, if you good etc. Once you find right company is just a matter of time and your hard work.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dont let one cert dictate your career path. I wouldn't let any one cert or degree do this. Only you can dictate that. At this point in your career you have many options. My advice is to continue to build your foundational IT knowledge until you have an idea what you want to do. Because what if you make your way to network admin and you hate it, then what? IMO its better to build more foundational knowledge as this will allow you to change directions more easily and gives you many more paths to choose from.

So once you get your CCNA find another job that lets you build those skills while adding new ones. Maybe get a Microsoft cert. Maybe security. VMware?

Also your degree is still an asset. Maybe use that to try and apply to businesses in that vertical. You might have a huge advantage with that type of knowledge and IT skills.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a BA I'm sorry for the mistype. My degree will never come into play for IT Jobs? I wasted so much money and time :-/
    In that case your degree is a lesser asset. While I doubt you'll ever fully recoup the time/money you spent on it, it's better than nothing. I'd mention any classes you passed related to mathematics, technical areas, or dealing with customers. With no experience, the classes you took and your GPA are relevant and could be helpful in selling your IT readiness.

Make sure you don't write 'BS' by accident on your resume. That could turn into a major credibility issue.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At least get an Associate's degree in IT or Computer Science. You might get somewhere with a CCNA, but I doubt you'll make sys admin.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your degree isn't a waste. Shows drive and commitment. The industry changes a lot. When I got my first job I was programming in COBOL and Pascal on a mainframe then on to networking Windows 3.1/DOS PCs with Novell Netware 2.11 and now dealing with EHR/EMR systems and HIPAA in Healthcare IT.

Keep pursuing the certs and maybe see what it would take to get a second bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Systems from the same university or get an MBA with an Information Systems concentration.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I feel like an idiot but it is a B.S. lol. I was thinking BS degrees were for computers/engineering but my degree is indeed labeled with B.S. Does the experience I'm gaining now count for anything? It seems like most of your guys suggestions is to find something new...
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I would start applying as soon as you feel ready. There is no harm in it. I left my first job after only 3 months and doubled my income.
    With some Helpdesk or NOC experience and a CCNA you may be able to move up very quickly.
    Since your degree is unrelated it may not help to much in a pure networking type role.

EDIT- I completely did not see you were already working as a Network Tech.
    You could probably advance after a year or so

I'm confused lol. Where was the 3 month figure coming from? Although I work for a great company their is not much upward mobility at all.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I believe that you can look for technology positions within the hospitality industry, which would make greater use of that degree. (someone else already said this)

The issue with degrees is explained like this:
    B.S. is higher than B.A. (that is, a science degree would require higher maths and would be more technical)
    Computer Science is higher than Information Systems (for the same reason a B.S. is higher than a B.A.)
    Engineering curricula include high maths plus practical labs to add rigor.
    A regionally accredited degree is more readily accepted than a nationally accredited degree.
    Brick and mortar is more readily accepted than online
    An elite school is more easily recognized than a generic one.

These aren't rules. Just "current" perception (which is subject to change--but don't hold your breath).

Of course, having a degree is better than not having a degree. It may not help that much in the beginning, but it will help later on. (Some companies like their managers to have degrees. An unrelated degree is better than nothing at all. Your degree is more related, if you work in a hospitality organization.)

About your realization about your degree after the fact ... I didn't realize the national versus regional thing was such a big deal until I went to look at Master's programs, and then I realized that it mattered when I couldn't easily get into some programs that I wanted to. So, it's one of those things where I didn't do the due diligence beforehand, and it came back to bite me later. Now, I warn others whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Also, as you get more experience, you won't have a problem with being technical. Since your first degree is in hospitality management, it seems you want to work in management anyway. In that case, I'd recommend the best MBA you could get into, over going into more technical courses as far as further school education.

Of course, before starting the MBA, first get some work experience under your belt, then come back to it a few years down the road, and it will have more context for you at that time.

EDIT:
    After re-reading your post, I suggest that you start applying to more advanced positions when you feel ready for them. If you keep your Linked In profile and resume updated on the job sites, recruiters will come to you. Also, don't forget Craigslist.

I don't know about getting "relocation" assistance at the beginner level, so if you need to make a move to another market, you may have to move first. It may be easier if you have relatives or other contacts in the new location to help you find work.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    I believe that you can look for technology positions within the hospitality industry, which would make greater use of that degree. (someone else already said this)

The issue with degrees is explained like this:
    B.S. is higher than B.A. (that is, a science degree would require higher maths and would be more technical)
    Computer Science is higher than Information Systems (for the same reason a B.S. is higher than a B.A.)
    Engineering curricula include high maths plus practical labs to add rigor.
    A regionally accredited degree is more readily accepted than a nationally accredited degree.
    Brick and mortar is more readily accepted than online
    An elite school is more easily recognized than a generic one.

These aren't rules. Just "current" perception (which is subject to change--but don't hold your breath).

Of course, having a degree is better than not having a degree. It may not help that much in the beginning, but it will help later on. (Some companies like their managers to have degrees. An unrelated degree is better than nothing at all. Your degree is more related, if you work in a hospitality organization.)

About your realization about your degree after the fact ... I didn't realize the national versus regional thing was such a big deal until I went to look at Master's programs, and then I realized that it mattered when I couldn't easily get into some programs that I wanted to. So, it's one of those things where I didn't do the due diligence beforehand, and it came back to bite me later. Now, I warn others whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Also, as you get more experience, you won't have a problem with being technical. Since your first degree is in hospitality management, it seems you want to work in management anyway. In that case, I'd recommend the best MBA you could get into, over going into more technical courses as far as further school education.

Of course, before starting the MBA, first get some work experience under your belt, then come back to it a few years down the road, and it will have more context for you at that time.

EDIT:
    After re-reading your post, I suggest that you start applying to more advanced positions when you feel ready for them. If you keep your Linked In profile and resume updated on the job sites, recruiters will come to you. Also, don't forget Craigslist.

I don't know about getting "relocation" assistance at the beginner level, so if you need to make a move to another market, you may have to move first. It may be easier if you have relatives or other contacts in the new location to help you find work.

Thank you so much for the thought out and detailed response. You have great advice and I never thought about the opportunity to enter the hospitality IT field. I really want to thank you and everyone else again for the help. This forum is great so far!
  • Options
    eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes what he says is true in my college they offered two computer science degrees one was Bachelor of Arts and the other was Bachelor of Science and the only difference was it required more tech courses. IMO it was dumb with the BA path it required a minor but the BSc didnt required a minor. Regardless if one was going to graduate school it strongly recommended BSc path.

I personally use the acronym B.Sc. instead of B.S. in resume and linkedin profile describing my degree.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).