Options

C++ book recomendations

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Since I have gone more and more into the security aspect of things, I am realizing my C++ skills are sorely lacking. This is something I definitely need to get better at.

With that said, does anyone have a good C++ book for beginners? The only development course I took in college was C, which is worlds apart from C++.

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    look up a youtube channel called "thenewboston". Bucky saved me in time to get an A+ in C++ last semester.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try book by Bjarne Stroustrup, the C++ language creator. ISBN 9780201700732 or 0201700735.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Check Cay Horstmann's books out. Good stuff.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also "Starting Out with C++" by Tony Gaddis is good as well.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't tried this, but I plan to buy it when I can. Prata's C++ Primer Plus book has great reviews.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Ill take a look.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rscrt wrote: »
    Try book by Bjarne Stroustrup, the C++ language creator. ISBN 9780201700732 or 0201700735.

Adding to wish list, but something from the top Amazon reviewer:
    One word in warning to potential buyers: You better be sharp with your STL skills before reading this book. Stroustrup writes his implementations around the STL which is not covered from a tutorial style in this book before he introduces it, which tells you that he meant for this book strictly as a reference not as a readers book. This critism is constructive, not disruptive, but I have been programming in standard ANSI/ISO C++ for 9 years, this book is best understood if you read the following first, if not, this book for even an itermediate C++ program cannot be digested to the fullest and you will reading this book fooling yourself of how much knowledge you have attained, when in reality, all that you have accomplished is reading this book so that you can say that you read Stroustrup, which is foolish, so read these first:

1) C++ Primer 3rd Edition...
    2) C++ Algorithms 3rd Edition by Robert Sedgewick also Addison Wesley books....
    3) The C++ Standard Library Tutorial and Reference from Nicolai Josuttis, from Addison Wesley...
    Last Word: Stroustrups book is definite worth in purchase and you cannot consider yourself a C++ software engineer, or C++ Software/Systems architect without having this book in your library, but patience and read books 1,2, and three first in that order....
    Possibly one of the most helpful reviews ever.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I haven't tried this, but I plan to buy it when I can. Prata's C++ Primer Plus book has great reviews.

I remember that I used this book many years ago, and it was excellent, but I remember that it used a top down approach and wasn't an entry level book
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I can definitely recommend this one. I used the book for my C++ class, it was an excellent read and really does a lot to give you plenty of information in easy-to-digest pieces.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■

A newer edition is available, by the way.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Another vote for the Primer Plus book, it really gives you a good understanding of the language. A whole lot of reading however, I had the 5th edition, looks like the 6th is even more.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.