Options

What’s the difference between sass tech support and Help desk/tech support?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I had an opportunity to interview at A SAAS provider-software as a service….However, I turned it down only because the hiring manger told me they don’t have sys adims, database guys, ect ect, Additionally, he mentioned they don’t do Windows , but only provide service/support for their own software. He said “before the interview think the position over and let me know if you still want to interview for it.” Anyways, I called him up and said no, only because I wanted to work somewhere I could advance. He understood, but told me to call back if I change my mind. This job is in Wisconsin and I live in MN. I would be lot closer to my girlfriend
9she lives in Wisconsin), but I’m afraid of being pigeon holed. I don’t want to be just stuck in the same tech support role position forever.
The only problem with being in Wisconsin is that there aren’t as many IT jobs as there are in MN. I know this because I looked.

I guess my questions are:

What’s the difference between sass tech support and Help desk/tech support?

Is it ok to start your IT career at a SAAS provider?

I know the hiring manager said he likes working there because he likes help desk and he likes the fact that SAAS is newer technology.

Has anyone started their IT career at a SAAS provider?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without knowing about the SaaS product they sell, I can only give a small piece of advice. Many might disagree with me, but SaaS, IaaS etc is the future. Here we utilize Salesforce and it is just an amazing platform to work with. I'd imagine you being on their helpdesk will be looking at issues as it relates getting programs running on the platform. Personally, if you have a chance to get on the ground floor with a company like that then I'd take the interview and see where it goes. Being able to put on your resume that you have experience with any form of SaaS is a great thing. As far as promotion potential, it depends on their product. Are they just a reseller? If it is a product they've designed, then you could definitely move to their infrastructure team which would be like a traditional IT role. But you might also be able to become a developer for the platform. Helping customer figure out why their code won't execute. Finally, if nothing else it keeps your interviewing skills up.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Like the_Grinch said it differs company to company but generally here is my opinion of what the hiring manager was saying regarding they don't have a sys admin/database admin/etc...

You are going to support the vendors product(s) for customers who heavily rely on their applications. These will most likely be installed on servers, databases, so for the most part the client/customers you are going to be working with are in these roles and you're helping them address their problem. So you aren't to say going to be responsible for configuring and setting up the server, but possibly troubleshooting/configuring/patching/upgrading the application on the servers. You won't necessarily earn experience installing/setting up servers, but you will gain invaluable client-server experience, application troubleshooting, possibly CTI experience depending on the application...

I am contemplating applying for a SaaS/Engineer position where I would be supporting business partners/SaaS clients for a vendor and would be traveling to sites where I would install/configure/troubleshoot their applications on servers. So I wouldn't necessarily be doing the initial installation of the OS, but would come in after the basics are operational and then configuring applications to work.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it ok to start your IT career at a SAAS provider?

Personally, I think the important thing is to just start your career. You sound like you are on the younger side of your career - so you have the next 30 to 40 years to refine and adjust your career. You probably ought to not over-think it.

Are for being in Wisconsin - if you are mobile perhaps it's not something to fret over. If you are close to Chicago, there are options there as well.

Good luck in the interview.