Options

Took RHCSA yesterday under less than ideal conditions

So I booked the RHCSA a month ago for yesterday, then a couple weeks ago, my employer asked me to attend a Microsoft event in Redmond from Monday - Thursday this past week. Unfortunately, the only flight I could get back was a red eye that left Seattle at 10:30PM, and landed in DC at 6:15AM, just under 5 hours. I hoped, prayed, and tried to medicate myself to sleep on the flight back, but between a lot turbulence and the fact that I couldn't get comfortable, I slept maybe 30 minutes at most the whole flight.

Upon landing I drove to the test center, about 15 minutes away, and took an hour and a half catnap, then woke up and chugged a 5 hour energy shot and went in. I felt mostly okay, but was definitely in a fog.

The exam started, and I could tell I was out of it as I had to re-read the initial instructions a few times to process it, but after about 10 minutes, I seemed to be coming out of it and hitting a groove, and proceeded without issue. I was handling every task with no issue, and I had 3 tasks to go as I approached the 90 minute mark. Then, I had a mental lapse, and ran a fdisk command against the wrong partition - conveniently enough, my boot partition. It didn't quite sink in exactly what I did until I rebooted and saw a grub prompt staring back at me and I though "Oh, I selected the wrong partition...". So I asked the exam proctor if there was any way I could mount an ISO to get into rescue mode, so I could straightened out my boot volume. He said no, my only option was for him to reload the base image and start over. I wasn't sure just how screwed up things were... I might have been able to straighten it out from the grub shell, but I knew that I was at a point of no return, and if I started over, I could probably finish with the amount of time left, but if I wasted a bunch of time in grub, I could do it. So I took the poison pill and had him reload.

I think I did all right... I finished by skin of my teeth, but didn't have any time to double check things, so I might've had some typos. No more exams on zero sleep with jet lag for me.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Interesting what life throws our way. Good luck!
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Just got my results - 283 out of 300! I might have got a perfect score if not for my fdisk mishap and having to start the whole thing over. :)
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Congrats on your achievement! icon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    grats~!! what a story! =D
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! Maybe after you catch your breath you tell us how you prepared, although I guess there is no magic to it.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I didn't do anything too crazy for prep - I've just been doing administrative work on several different Linux distros for years, and Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE guide & lab manual. I decided to go for it back in February, so I had about 3 months to prepare, but a lot of that was broken up by the birth of our second child, my wife having to have surgery, and other day to day chaos.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats! That's pretty awesome under those circumstances.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness