Options

Is this considered as IT-related experience?

readingtoomuchreadingtoomuch Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently I work on an assembly line building computers from scratch. Do employer consider this as IT-related experience? I searched for 3+ years to find a job working with computers and this is the best I could get.

Comments

• Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    It can for an entry level position. It would help more if you perform any quality assurance and troubleshooting on the systems you build.
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why wouldn't it? Would count for more if they were custom builds rather than just an assembly line, if you're installing software as well, getting involved in quoting for specs and so on. Depending on the job and company, a desktop support type role can involve a lot of hardware work.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    For entry-level break and fix field tech stuff, sure. For other stuff, not really.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For entry-level break and fix field tech stuff, sure. For other stuff, not really.
    That's how I see it, too. Assuming you've had several roles on the assembly line--you're not just the "hard drive" guy--what your experience says to me is that you know how to open a PC and replace a component with a like component.
    OP wrote:
    I searched for 3+ years
    An A+ certification would've taken a fraction of that time and gotten you more of an IT role.

If you're looking for a career, that may be a good next stop.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, it is not IT experience. IT experience would involve configuring devices in BIOS and troubleshooting software and hardware and things like that.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How is building computers for money not legit IT experience? I say yes, it also depends on how you sell it on the resume. Is it something you want to do long term? Absolutely not - but it is an OK buffer while you cert up for your next position.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I would consider this relevant. It should help you get a entry tech/helpdesk job. Get a cert or two if you aren't having luck breaking in.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While it is very narrowly focused IT experience, it is IT experience. It should translate well into a bench tech kind of position, ideally somewhere that you could also get exposure to troubleshooting at the OS/Application level.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I think it depends. As I see you do not have an experience, so everything counts.However You must understand that with this kind of experience you can only apply to entry-level position. When you find an entry-level job, try to learn as much as possible , and than you can apply for something better. Slowly slowly you will have a job that you would be fully satisfied. Just keep trying and learn as much as possible. Good luck.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's technical, technology-related work. It's just not IT work. You can replace the component, sure. But is it your job to know why you're replacing it or what else could be wrong if the replacement does not resolve the issue.