I can't connect 2 routers and ping pc's

lunekiluneki Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i need to create a network with 2 routers, 4 switches and 40 pc's, i connect a router with 2 switches, from those 10 pc's each, o do this 2 times, then i connect the 2 routers with copper cross over i configure the ip's on both networks but i can't ping between a pc on network 1 and one on network 2, someone told me about assigning an ip on both serial ports of the router but i do it and then nothing happens, how do i do it? i have no idea what to do now, i can't even ping pc's between switches under the same router.
i attach a screenshot of the network map
map.jpg 28.3K

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IIRC you'll have to assign IP addresses on each PC or configure DHCP on both routers. I don't remember if Packet Tracer automatically assigns PC IP addresses or not. Open a cmd window in one of the PC's and type 'ipconfig' and you'll have your answer. Once the PC's on the switches can communicate with each other you'll have to configure a routing protocol on each router.

If this is for CCENT, I would recommend RIPv1 and RIPv2. You'll be able to play around and see the differences. You could also go for a WAN protocol such as PPP or HDLC.
  • lunekiluneki Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have assigned ip's to every computer on the 4 networks, i can ping only when they're connected to the same switch.

when i configure the router, do i have to assign an IP on both "Routing->Static or RIP" and the 3 ports that both switches and the other router connect to? (using serial for routers and fastethernet for switches
    After looking at your diagram again, it looks like your switches are all on different router interfaces. This means they're going to be on different networks/subnets/broadcast domains. The PC's on different switches will not be able to communicate with each other until you have enabled routing.

For the router conifguration, if you're using RIP, you just need to enable RIP on the router using the following commands in Global Configuration Mode:

-router rip
    -version 2

Then you will want to make your network statements. Here is some Cisco documentation on doing this. I recommend going through all of it if you have time:

Cisco IOS IP Configuration*Guide, Release*12.2 - Configuring Routing Information Protocol* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.2 Mainline] - Cisco Systems
    And yes, every router interface will need its own IP address.