Anyone using a 802.11AC router yet?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Looking to replace my Netgear router over the next few weeks. Wonder if anyone is using one of the 802.11AC routers yet and how well they perform on normal 802.11N connections? I'll be replacing a laptop this Christmas season, and figure the 802.11AC clients will start showing up then.

Comments

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't have one but know the gains will mostly be negligible without clients using AC wireless cards. You might see gains in coverage area/speeds, router stability, etc.

Surprised those tricky tech vendors haven't started trickling AC (5 Ghz) and WiGig (60 Ghz, limited coverage) since mobile devices, converged networks and smart tvs are the big thing right now.

What Netgear do you have and are you not satisfied with the performance? The latest ASUS has gotten good reviews.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have a Netgear 3700 that's been good, but lately it's needing reboots daily. So it might be time for a new one, that's why I was looking at the AC routers.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Just bought a new wireless router and still bought 802.11n.
    None of my devices will benefit from ac yet.
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm running the ASUS ac66u, and it's decent. It's sad how client NIC's are lagging behind the actual routers, but I try to stay on the cusp of technology. I liked the ASUS because it had external antennas, and I have 3 aftermarket hi gain wireless antennas that are strategically placed for signal. It's certainly a better and purer signal than the dlink gamerslounge I had, though I wouldn't recommend anyone on the fence going and picking one up. On a side note it's disappointing to see the PS4 and Xbox One coming out with wireless N instead of AC+N. So it will likely be a few more years before wireless AC is considered relevant enough for people to have it stock on devices, and by that time WiGig will probably hit in a big way. TLDR: Money to blow = go get one! Unsure = Pass on it for now.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I wouldn't buy anything until next year. Too many "draft" routers out there. I get by perfectly with my high-end wndr3700, even though it's several years old and I know that AC chips won't be showing up in notebooks and other devices until next year.
  • datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't have one but know the gains will mostly be negligible without clients using AC wireless cards. You might see gains in coverage area/speeds, router stability, etc.

Surprised those tricky tech vendors haven't started trickling AC (5 Ghz) and WiGig (60 Ghz, limited coverage) since mobile devices, converged networks and smart tvs are the big thing right now.

What Netgear do you have and are you not satisfied with the performance? The latest ASUS has gotten good reviews.

I have deployed a few, but experienced difficulty finding affordable NICs to work with them.