Options

Don't know which MS Certificate to get?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I have finished my Network+ Certificate yesterday.

I want to aim for the Microsoft certificate next.

I don't know which Microsoft certificate to take.

I want to do desktop support for a medium to large company.

Since it's desktop support that would lead me to MCDST.

On the other hand most medium - large companies need network knowledge like domains and account creation which leads me to MCSE.

Since MCDST was released last year, most employers might not hear about it and not consider that certificate for employment.

For the MCSE if I complete some of the exams, would that be worth something to the employers?

What MS certificate should I get that would cover the desktop knowledge and provide a good networking background?

Comments

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    270-70 for the Client side.
  • Options
    dsa1971dsa1971 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The MCDST is only 2 exams. I think most employers now have heard of MCDST. If you want to do desktop support then I would recommend MCDST and then you can start on your MCSE afterwards.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would also recco the MCDST first. Support and domain administration are two different fields, with different knowledge requirements. MCDST has been noticed by more and more companies. MCSE without relative experience won't gain you many looks.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I would also recco the MCDST first. Support and domain administration are two different fields, with different knowledge requirements. MCDST has been noticed by more and more companies. MCSE without relative experience won't gain you many looks.

I just ran a search on the following job search sites.

Monster.ca

MCDST Search Results: 1
    MCSE Search Results: 93

Workopolis.com

MCDST Search Results: 1
    MCSE Search Results: 205
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Doesn't mean they don't know what it is. Not to mention, having a cert that a lot of people don't hold, specific to a popular workstation OS, gives you an edge over others.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    there is no reason you can't get both MCDST and MCSE but the MCDST requires only 2 exams and the MCSE requires 7 exams and the exams for the MCSE (from what I have heard and read) are considerably more difficult than the 2 exams for MCDST. you can knock out the MCDST fairly quickly when compared to the time it will take to get your MCSE. also, MCDST can help you get the help desk job you want and while you are gaining some experience there you can study for MCSE and/or get into a position that allows you to get some experience related to the MCSE. Getting your MCSE with no relevant job experience might get some employers to look at you as a "paper-cert" and dismiss your resume all together. But if you get your MCDST, start working in an IT position, and start on your MCSE that will get you headed in a good direction.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude, the MCDST is an elective for your MCSA and MCSE, so get both!

I took the 270 first, but I recommend you take MCDST 271 and 272, they are way easier than any other exams. Then I recommend 270, then 290, then 291.

I just passed 290 today!!! Stoked!!!!!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Dude, the MCDST is an elective for your MCSA and MCSE, so get both!

I took the 270 first, but I recommend you take MCDST 271 and 272, they are way easier than any other exams. Then I recommend 270, then 290, then 291.

I just passed 290 today!!! Stoked!!!!!

just curious about your definition of easy. I had thought about getting my MCDST before going taking exam 70-270 thinking they might help me when I take 70-270.