Options

BS Information Technology or Computer Science degree?

spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which degree has more market value, and why? For those that have one, do you feel as though you would had an easier time landing a job / promotion if you had the other degree?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Computer Science

Learn more in depth programming techniques which can be highly useful in a lot of IT occupations, plus getting deeper into CS type networking or security courses, something regular IT courses may only brush the surface on.

Look at the creators of facebook, amazon, google, microsoft, all of them either obtained CS degrees or became experts in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJRGhbHxMc
  • Options
    Would it matter where the CS degree was attained? Do employers favor CS degrees from technical institutes over traditional "state" universities/colleges?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would it matter where the CS degree was attained?
    Of course! US News ranks the top schools. The lower your school is on the rankings list, the less impressive you degree is. A CS degree from the top three schools would be held in higher esteem than one from the #100 school. Although, a CS degree from the #100 school is still light years beyond an easier degree or no degree at all.

Be the best you that you can be, and don't worry beyond that. :)

Best Computer Science Programs | Top Computer Science Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    sparten wrote: »
    Which degree has more market value, and why? For those that have one, do you feel as though you would had an easier time landing a job / promotion if you had the other degree?

For me, it really depends on what you want to do with your degree will dictate if it had more market value over the other one, eg I wanted to be a software engineer so I went for the Computing one (even though I ended up in technical support field). As for do I feel as though I would have had an easier time landing a job/promotion if I had the other degree? No, the degree is only one aspect of the interview process, besides alot (not all mind you) of places in the UK (if they want you to have one) will state a "computing or related degree".
    sparten wrote: »
    Would it matter where the CS degree was attained? Do employers favor CS degrees from technical institutes over traditional "state" universities/colleges?

In the UK, it doesn't matter so much where the degree was attained (there are exceptions though) as long as it is recognised/legit.

I can't generalise too much as you not only get the degree from the place you study but also connections/network with other people.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    IT Degree. besides more programming and math, IT degree's let you work on specialty courses such as network and security.

and IT degree depends on where you get it, just like a CS degree. Some IT degrees are mostly business while some are very technical.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Neither. I have a BS in MIS, but it I could go back in time, I would pursue a CS degree.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think a CS degree would have a better fundamental knowledge of the IT field. If you looking to do a specific job then you could get a tech degree in a job specific role.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go for the CS degree. My biggest regret is not doing it. Think of it this way, I have a friend who works at Comcast on the helpdesk...he has a CS degree.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    If you want to be a software engineer and have the means to attend a CS school, then that's your best choice, imho.

So many factors come into play. Your age, where you live, family responsibilities, etc. If you are older and looking to change careers attending a CS school for 4-8years while working full time might not feasible (I fell into that category myself, I switched to software engineering @ age 38 from doing art for 12+ years).

My 2cents.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGB how was the WGU Software program? I am working on my AS. I am looking for a reputable and solid online program.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did very well without a degree and with a two-year IT degree, but I (along with many others on this site) am the exception and not the rule. Seven or so years into my career I started my CS degree, and it's my #1 focus right now. Even though I've been successful, I wish I had gone straight for it after high school. An IT degree will mostly just teach you stuff you'll figure out pursuing the career anyway, and in some cases even less than that. CS gives the underlying knowledge that will let you do anything you want in this field. Again, not that one can't succeed or learn anything in particular without the degree, but the degree helps. The CS credential itself has significantly better perception and market value than other IT-related degrees. Again, lots of people do well with those degrees (including me) and I don't want to diminish that accomplishment.

The only reason I would ever recommend someone not go for CS is if they just don't have the time and patience to learn programming and math or they really want to rush through it. There's really no CS program that's anything like WGU. U of Illinois offers an undergrad online, but it will still take you four years at a full-time pace. WGU shouldn't, and for many people, that is attractive. For traditional universities (especially for traditional students), I see no compelling reason to study IT/IS, MIS, etc. over computer science except a strong aversion to math and programming.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kgb wrote: »
    If you want to be a software engineer and have the means to attend a CS school, then that's your best choice, imho.
    A CS degree can also cover network engineering, security, databases, operating systems, computer architecture, advanced applied math, and communication. This strong multi-disciplinary foundation helps explain why CS/EE are the most in-demand degrees even when no programming talent is needed. You will see posting after posting where a CS/EE degree is required or preferred. While a bachelor's degree in CS covers many disciplines, a master's degree is often focused on a particular subject.
    If you are older and looking to change careers attending a CS school for 4-8years while working full time might not feasible
    Absolutely! Going to school full-time for 3-4 years or part-time for 6-8 years is not right for everyone, and you will have to grapple with some difficult courses including advanced mathematics.
  • Options
    ya im only 22 and just about to finish up my AS and do 2-3 more years for BS so ill prolly go for CS degree. the school i intend to transfer to isnt exactly a tech school (Montclair State) but i love the environment and the commute is like 10-20min from my home.
  • Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CS degree all the way. It's more known and more respected.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Information Systems. You can take the same programming courses as Computer Science or Computer Science Engineering plus get a better understanding of other business processes.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    If I was 22, I'd go CS. The only way I wouldn't is if I had children and actually wanted to see them grow up.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU