Options

I need some guidence

Stewie17Stewie17 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
As an up and coming IT professional, I'm afraid I've hit a snag in my career goals, and I need some word from those with experience.

Here's the situation. I'm 18, female and I'm A+ certified. Been certified for two months now. Okay I have no job experience, but I'm hoping my certification will prove to employers that I do have the stuff. I'm having troubles finding a job in my location and I feel like I'm reaching a dead end. Then on top of this, I have this opprotunity to go and get my MSCE and like this week, I told everybody I wasn't going because I lost interest. Now that opprotunity is open about a crack, but I'm so confused on what to do because. I want to get the experience, but at the same time, I want my certification. I dunno, I'm so confused and hopefully you guys can offer some insight or something. It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    Since your 18 years old I assume you don't have a college diploma yet.

I highly recommend that you go for a post secondary eduction in the technology field. Most IT employers won't look at somebody with just high school education.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I'd enroll in a 2 year school in a networking program. I did that and got a internship with a tech company working desktop/network support. I've since then converted to full time because of my schooling and internship.

If not, with your A+ you should be able to get a job at Best Buy, Circuit City, or CompUsa doing PC repair.

As for your MSCE training, if it is not too much money I don't see why it would hurt.

Just don't lose faith, you will get into IT soon or later.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Like everyone else said, I would recommend at least a two-year program at a local college. Most of the time, you will be able to pick up an internship through the college itself, which is what I did.

Not only will that be a way to get experience, but you'll also be earning something that is valuable to potential employers.

Plus you can always study for more certs while going to school.
  • Options
    dsa1971dsa1971 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    at minimum, get a 2 year degree but a 4 year degree would be better. you can get a bunch of certs now but a degree will get you further at this point. degree + certs is that much better.