Options

Is is to much to expect from Jr. AD Admin ?

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
My management came up to conclusion that I need a hand in dealing with AD environment, and i am tasked with requirements/job description.
75% of work related AD, GPO, event logs, maintenance and then some documentation, backup and etc.
Do you guys think its too much to ask for for such position:

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[*]Work independently within the assigned priorities and project schedules.

[*]Troubleshoot and monitor systems activities and utilization and work with vendor Technical Support engineers to resolve issues
[*]Creating/updating/maintaining technical documentation
[*]Participate in after-hours and weekend support
[*]Responsible for monitoring, health and maintenance of 2 Forests and domains
[*]Responsible for maintaining, creating, modifying Group Policies and objects,
[*]Responsible for maintaining DNS/ DHCP servers, as necessary
[*]Responsible for maintaining, updating and upgrading 15+ Domain controllers
[*]Maintain File Servers and backups
[*]Day to day data backup/restore, Level 2 problem resolution and managing tickets within an Enterprise ticketing system

[/LIST]
What do you guys and girls think ?

Comments

• Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Depends on how much you're paying the person ;)
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Job titles are so difficult to define in my opinion that it is hard to say. I think that is too much to ask for someone with 2 years of helpdesk experience working tier 2 in AD with an MCSA, but not too much ask for someone who has 2 years of helpdesk and 2 years of Sys Admin experience in an enterprise environment, but I would put them both in the Jr AD admin category.

So I would instead ask myself "Is this too much to ask for the salary range I am offering?"
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems about right to me. Just look at it as an opportunity to learn.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I would instead ask myself "Is this too much to ask for the salary range I am offering?"
    This is quite on-target.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Wow, 15 DCs across 2 forests... The rest of the requirements are pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    mworwell wrote: »
    Seems about right to me. Just look at it as an opportunity to learn.

Exactly. More responsibility just means more that you can put on your resume. It might seem overwhelming now, but likely to help you land a better position (or promotion) in the long run. Stick in there man.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JBrown wrote: »
    Do you guys think its too much to ask for for such position:

Absolutely not. Like others have said, depends on the pay. I currently do a majority of what's on your list (although on a smaller scale), and I'm "desktop support" so I do not think that's too much for the title you propose.
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Job titles are so difficult to define in my opinion that it is hard to say. I think that is too much to ask for someone with 2 years of helpdesk experience working tier 2 in AD with an MCSA, but not too much ask for someone who has 2 years of helpdesk and 2 years of Sys Admin experience in an enterprise environment, but I would put them both in the Jr AD admin category.

I am interested in a person who does not have all the listed requirements, but is willing to learn (thus Jr. ) rather than over-qualified Sysadmin that will leave the shop 3 month from now. So, sounds like the helpdesk guy with some AD experience and MS certificate. Good point there.

I am trying to offload some work from my shoulders, and besides, this is only 15% to 20% of MY time, and it will be this JR. 75% to 80% primary job, plus some generic vsphere/vmware stuff, that i will be teaching him to do.

sratakhin wrote:
    Wow, 15 DCs across 2 forests... The rest of the requirements are pretty reasonable.

I actually see your point there. He is not responsible for it alone, but as part of the team. I wont even let him change a policy on the domain, with out prior authorization. let alone, do all you want thought the infrastructure.

Guys, I am not looking him to go out and start building me an Ent AD structure with Sites, and site links and site costs, then count in T1 cost vs Broadband, and then number of expected user/workstation growth over the next 3 years for remote branches, with amount of logon data/GPO that changes/needs downloading during the day or night, or if he needs to add a new Domain. I don't even expect him to know what happens when MPLS goes down and there is no local DC to authenticate against vs remote branch has its own DC. But, i expect him to learn it while on the job, I will even give a Microsoft voucher or even 2 to go ahead and give it a shot and improve his skills.

Sounds like I need to rephrase the requirements, or they will all run away icon_smile.gif

Salary, what wwold you expect for such position?

Benefits are free undergrad education/ upto 25% discount on Masters, and other regular benefits.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Around 50k in california, it also depends on how much prior experience you are asking for.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    To bad you are in NY. I would love to see an opportunity like this around my area.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A small side-note:
    I am interested in a person who does not have all the listed requirements, but is willing to learn
    If they don't have to meet all the stated requirements, then they aren't really requirements. I'd suggest stating whatever must be met as a requirement, and whatever you'd like them to have as a preference. Some people take job postings at face value.

A clear statement of requirements vs. preferences will get you a more on-target group of candidates.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Jr" is kinda relative depending on the size of a company and the pay. "Jr" admin for a company like Google might be senior plenty of other places I guess.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @NetworkVeteran

I feel that is a great statement in regards to job descriptions. I have seen many a job posting where the "Requirements" became "Things we want the candidate to learn" once in the interview. Situations like that can lead to a major application shortage. You might have people who meet the actual requirements who don't apply because the list implies a higher skill set than is required or you have people who meet or exceed the qualifications but ask for higher pay. Either way you get a mismatch and things quickly become more difficult than needed.

List your base requirements then your preferences as the goal of a fully trained employee. This gives you the largest candidate base while still meeting your minimum requirements. In addition, I tend to apply for a job that indicates they are looking for people excited to learn. To me it sends the message that the employer is looking for people and are willing to train the right candidate if that person is willing to learn.
  • Options
    @NetworkVeteran

I feel that is a great statement in regards to job descriptions. I have seen many a job posting where the "Requirements" became "Things we want the candidate to learn" once in the interview. Situations like that can lead to a major application shortage. You might have people who meet the actual requirements who don't apply because the list implies a higher skill set than is required or you have people who meet or exceed the qualifications but ask for higher pay. Either way you get a mismatch and things quickly become more difficult than needed.

List your base requirements then your preferences as the goal of a fully trained employee. This gives you the largest candidate base while still meeting your minimum requirements. In addition,

I took a 10th "second" look at it, and i believe managed to get it right in the end. Had to rephrase the responsibilities vs requirements and wants/needs as it was pointed out in the topic.
    @NetworkVeteran I tend to apply for a job that indicates they are looking for people excited to learn. To me it sends the message that the employer is looking for people and are willing to train the right candidate if that person is willing to learn.

Duly noted and added some summary with description who I am looking for:
    looking for a self-motivated, proactive team player who is interested in Microsoft Active Directory, VMware virtualization and Microsoft Exchange, and willing to learn new technologies as they are introduced into the environment.

As part of a team, the Junior Active Directory Administrator responsibilities include:.
    snip
    snip

Required Technical Skills:
    • 1+ years’ experience required working with Active Directory environment
    • snip snip
    • Strong TCP/IP knowledge
    • Associate Degree or above in Information Technology or a related technical field
    • Microsoft server certification – MCSA (2003 objectives) or MCITP:SA(2008/r2

Thanks for the input guys and girls.
    P.S don't google it, as it wont be posted on monster or careerbuilder ;)