Options

Is it odd that I leave my postal address off my resume?

spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
As the thread title says, I usually leave my postal address off resumes as I've run into a good deal of phishing scams and illegitimate businesses that are just trying to grab people's personal information.

Am I being overly paranoid? I just have never heard of recruiters ever actually sending mails out to notify job applicants if they are looking for an interview / follow-up. I include my cell phone number and email address though.

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont include mine either.
    Just Phone number, Linkedin, and email in terms of contact info.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I do not include my cell phone number under any circumstances. If they want to get in touch with me they can email (and they do)...there's nothing more annoying than a recruiter calling while you're at work for a position that has NOTHING to do with your skillset.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I've never put my postal address on (any of) my resume(s). I also removed my phone # from the 1 resume I've posted online.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I use a Google Voice number to mask my main number and all for better call logging.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hoktauri wrote: »
    I use a Google Voice number to mask my main number and all for better call logging.

This is exactly what i do.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i used to have my postal address on it, but i just recently took it off when I started applying for jobs on Craigs List.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it's odd. I do that as well. I put my city and state, but not a street address. I usually do not give them my phone number either until it's moved past the first stages.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think including it is odd, and every time I see it I tell people to take it off. It is not contact information or relevant to your career. They don't need to mail you back an interview request. Name, email, phone number. In special circumstances I might see have city, state, but I don't really view that as necessary. The whole address is never needed, IMO.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't want to see someones address on a resume. I do want to see their city & a phone number. Email works too but it slows down the process and when I have lots of resumes to go through I don't care for delays. As others have posted, there are ways to mask your real number.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Employers are almost always going to use phone or e-mail to contact you about an interview, so I'd agree that others that listing name, phone, e-mail, and city/state are sufficient. I have had to pass over candidates who either did not include their phone number or their e-mail address, so you're taking a significant risk if you exclude either one of those.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I do not include my cell phone number under any circumstances. If they want to get in touch with me they can email (and they do)...there's nothing more annoying than a recruiter calling while you're at work for a position that has NOTHING to do with your skillset.

The worse!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Man I had to remove my phone number from my resume for a while...
    It got ridiculous the recruiter calls for a while
    sometimes 6-7 a Day with jobs that had nothing to do with my resume
    meh
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Nothing like Googling how much you paid for house.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Hmmm...phishing scams???

Is that why my interview consisted of questions like:

What is your mother's maiden name?
    What was the name of your first pet?
    What was the name of the street you grew up on?

CRAP!!! Better go change my passwords... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Actually, I guess changing my passwords won't really help.

CRAP!!! Better go change the details of my life icon_sad.gif