Options

Free space on physical disk with VHD drive – best practice.

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Just wander if somebody could help me to find answer for question about free space on physical drive (in production environment) which I need to have.

Scenario is as follow:

* One phisical server (no cluster)
* SQL Server on Hyper-V Windows 2012 Virtual Machine
* Fixed System VHD on 7.2 K SAS RAID 10 shared with other virtual servers physical Volume
* Fixed Database VHD on dedicated RAID 1 600 GB SAS 10K Volume
* Fixed Logs VHD on dedicated 300 GB RAID 1 SAS 10K Volume
* Hyper-V remote replication to DR site
* Altaro backup of Hyper Machines

Questions:

Can I use whole available space on dedicated volumes for Database and Logs? (600GB and 300GB) or do I need leave some space free? If so, could you advise how much?
Any advice about possible problems with following configuration?
Tank you

Comments

• Options
    phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My answer is more in the general sense than about your specific situation:

- A volume containing an OS should *always* have some free space. There's no hard rules, I like to have >10% of free disk space
    - A data volume (i.e.: one used to store logs or DB tables) which doesn't also contain the OS could be filled to 100%, but why would you? What if the volume is filled at 100% and your application needs to write additional data to it? The application would crash and you'd have downtime. So to conclude, generally speaking, you never want a volume to have 100% of all its space used. Anything that has 75% utilization usually gets my attention and 90% is what I would consider a critical point (i.e.: I don't want my systems to have any less than 10% of free disk space).

HTH
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • Options
    PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Phatrik,
    Really sorry but looks there is some misunderstanding. I’m talking about VHD file which cover whole space on HDD not about taking whole space by DB or logs.