Options

Job change - MSP Helpdesk / Field Engineer to 2nd Line Support

craig88craig88 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

First post here. I am currently working for a smb managed services provider as a Helpdesk / field engineer / install engineer, anything and everything they throw at me basically. I have a shot at a new job where I would be working as 2nd line support for a multi site 700 user site. I am unsure if a move into a larger company is my best move?

New company is offering 10k GBP (around 15k USD) extra, plus training (CCNA, MCSA)

Current pros are -
  • work for a small company
  • everyone is great, even my boss
  • 5 minute commute
  • gaining lots of varied experience
  • company car
cons -
  • Low pay
  • Never learn anything in depth
  • can be stressful
  • Can be stuck on customer sites late (dead servers!)
i guess I'm looking for some advice? Perhaps anyone who has made a similar move? Is career progression easier in that type of role?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's really personal preference. I have friends who will only work in giant corps where they can have a very specialized role and never have to step outside of it, I like a bit more variety.

I can't speak for career progression other than the fact that if you are the "everything IT guy" at a smaller place there isn't really a way to go much further up.

One thing to consider though, a 5 minute commute and a company car are actually a pretty big deal that you might want to think about as well. Say the car is something you'd have to buy/lease yourself for 300+ a month, then insure and pay for gas plus drive to a further workplace, the time and costs do add up and are worth thinking about.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Daniel. The car and commute are what's stopping me I think but also my current salary is only £20,000 so this job would take me to £30,000, which I have been told has room to go to £40,000 in the 2nd line position. Hmm, I will have to think about this one!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Coming from the MSP side of things, how are you not picking up anything in depth? Are there more senior guys that are picking up the harder things, or do your clients not have very complex systems? Just wondering out of my own curiosity really. Also just based on my own personal experience, I don't think I could ever go back to a big corp again, you just don't have a lot of the same opportunities to diversify as a smaller business.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Yes there is 4 of us and I'm classed as the junior. The majority of our customers are 1 - 50 user size, with a few up to 100. So there isn't much in depth work and what there is goes to the other guys. I just look at the most senior position within the company I'm at and don't see if as a good goal for my own career, it seems limited. I started here around 4 years ago with no experience and now I have plenty but not much certs / training and not much in pay rises.
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Craig,

Like you said, working for a big company has pros and cons, which you have mentioned. However there is some extra pros that you did not mention. If you put later on on your resume, that you worked for BlueChip company, gives you better chance to find next job. It really depends what do you want do do in the future, if you want to play with the newest gears, work for the bests(biggest), than go for it, if you prefer and feel good in small environment than stay where you are or try find similar job for better many.

If you want to play for MAN U, better get a job in Premier League than in Championship :).
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long have you been at the MSP? It's sort of a mix bag. I tend to side on moving to a big company after my time at an MSP. If nothing else, it's very nice to only have to know "one" environment. I can agree that as a jack of all trades at an MSP it's often hard to become specialized. Generally it is all hands on deck and with such a small shop I doubt people have time to sit with you to teach you various things. That being said, if you have a year or less I might stick it out at the MSP for one more year. You'll get exposed to a lot of stuff and can make a more informed decision on which way you want to go. One good point of a large corporate environment is there is usually steps and a known way to get promoted. The MSP I was at there was not determined way to get promoted nor structure to move up within the departments (NOC, Helpdesk, Field Engineering).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Ive been with this company for just a little over 4 years. As said above there is no clear progression, I think possibly the move might be in my best interests. I suppose experience of working at a large company is something I should atleast try.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Four years? Yeah if they haven't lead you to a path to specialize in I'd say see ya later.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff