Options

Sites Replication Lab for 70-640

shakedkoffeeshakedkoffee Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I'm currently reading about the replication for the 70-640 and I saw that the single DCs need to be in different subnets.
Currently trying to figure out how to implement replication in a wmvare workstation environment.

Till now I managed to get virtual machines communicating, but that was in single subnet. Any idea how to do this? Any howto's or guides?

Thanks
Saluti
Luka

Comments

• Options
    gbeer7gbeer7 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats kind of what i was trying to achieve. Should i be using VLANS or a VPN to connect different subnets together. Not got very far though !
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need VLANs or VPN in your lab when you are just starting out. This video might help you and give you a better understanding.
    MCITP 70-640: Sites and Subnets - YouTube
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I haven't tried it myself, but here is an idea.
    You will need a server running RRAS with 2 host-only vNICs, each for its own site. The server will represent "the Internet". You could also give that server a bridged or NATted NIC to be able to connect your DCs to the Internet.
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do something similar to sratakhin's proposal, except that I use WANem instead of a server with RRAS. It supports NAT so you can simulate multiple sites while retaining internet connectivity in your VMs, and it offers extra features such as being able to manipulate latency and bandwidth. This is especially helpful in seeing things like Group Policy slow link detection in action. I've seen that Hyper-V 3.0 offers some ability to manipulate the network connection, and I believe that ESX does too, however I don't think they offer as many features as WANem. The downsides to WANem are that the learning curve is quite steep, and it's difficult to install to a hard drive, so you end up having to reconfigure it every time you use it. I get around the second problem by creating a snapshot of the running VM, so I don't have to configure the networks each time I use it.
  • Options
    shakedkoffeeshakedkoffee Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys sorry, it took me a bit to answer.

Well, I think I'll go on with the study, as to build up all the solutions listed above would be too much for my current motivation.
    But at least I'll know where to startt once I decide to go there.

Thanks all for your answers.

Bye
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Create multiple sites in AD and leave the DC's on the same subnet. Just manually separate the domain controllers into different sites under Active Directory Sites and Services. This will allow you to test multi-site AD networks without worrying about the routing aspect of it.