Options

Paying for Sans training

jargavetjargavet Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever payed out of pocket? I know most peoples employers will pay for it, but what about those of us who have a low level IT job?

Since the SANS INST. grants a masters degree could student loans work?
Would the 401 course be a good place to start?
I really want to go to SANSFIRE in DC and any advice would be appreciated.

Currently I hold A+ and Security+ and working towards MCSA Server 2008 (70-640 June 7)

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    No.

I do not plan to.

It is not within my budget.

Their material has great reputation, but it is not worth the cost unless there is demand for it in the field. I would not mind if it was possible to self-study and take their tests in an affordable way (VMware has some community college options). At $999 if you don't take the course, and $579 if you do, it is not in my realm of "affordable".

If there is a demand, AND it is something I want to do, I would probably do it. I don't do everything I like to do, I lately try to remain sensible within demand, otherwise it becomes a waste.

EDIT: I do have one (G2700), and I guess I "paid" for it, as part of my WGU tuition. I would not have gotten it without its being part of the degree plan and included in the tuition.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000
    Thank You for your reply

I agree, self study is generally far superior for my brains learning style.
    I am looking to increase my marketability as well as fulfill my need for "more input"

On the subject of schools that offer certification tracks:
    Does anyone know of any in DC Metro area?

I am graduating with an associates but I am thinking that it may not transfer to a "real four year college"
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I paid for 502, 503, 504, 546, and 550 out of pocket. 401, 560, and 617 were paid between two employers and 542 I did for free since I had accumulated enough OnDemand rewards points to get a free long-course.

I think 401 is a solid course, but it's not in-depth on any given topic. The subject coverage is broad and feels rather exhausting. I took the OnDemand for it with over 12 years of work experience at the time and it was still an enormous amount of material to digest. Not all of it was new to me, but it further sharpened my perspective on many things and tied a lot of areas that were disjointed in my mind into a more cohesive, holistic structure.

I'd say that the majority of SANS courses are meant for individuals who have at least a few years of work experience. I'd hazard a guess that 401 might be appropriate for you. I have to renew my GSEC soon and might consider re-taking the exam (rather than renewing it through other means) so I can get an updated set of materials to study from and refresh things for me.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Where you paying full price for each course?

Other than some of the early sign up bonus, is there any way to get them a bit cheaper?
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jargavet wrote: »

Other than some of the early sign up bonus, is there any way to get them a bit cheaper?

Look into the work study program.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They occasionally have discounts for members of EthicalHacker.net, but you will be much better served by the work study program. As soon as I get out of the military, i'll likely be applying for it.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jargavet wrote: »
    Where you paying full price for each course?

If there was an OnDemand special rate going on, I'd take advantage of it:

http://www.sans.org/ondemand/specials
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I received an email from SANS a few days ago offering a free GIAC exam ($579 value) with any OnDemand or vLive SANS course, or a $579 discount for any OnDemand or vLive course. SANS Institute with discount code 0530_579. Good until June 12, 2013. Can't be bad.
  • Options
    Wooohooo! Thank you all for pointing me towards the work study. I was accepted to not one but two courses. Sec 566 at Baltimore in October and sec 401 at Annapolis community SANS in September. I would have never known this program existed without all of you. Thank you so much.