Options

how to handle being overqualified

crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering what everyones thoughts about being overqualified? I had a phone interview and I nailed it. He said the only concern was that he thought I may be over qualified. Money and benefits make the position worth it. I need to send a thank you letter tonight and was hoping to address it in that letter. Can anyone provide any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Normally, the fear associated with overqualified candidates is related to the fact that they are likely to leave sooner. I would address that.

Do you plan to stick with this organization for a while? If so, why? If not, then he's justified in worrying. He needs to know that you will be satisfied with the position you are hired for - at least for a reasonable amount of time. If you see a future for yourself at this company, express that and explain why.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you feel that you were overqualified when you read the job description?
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I would just be honest. I'm with xenodamus - if you're happy with the pay, the benefits and the company as a whole and are not planning on leaving after 2 months, it shouldn't be a problem. If not, probably look for a different job that will also pay good but challenge you and develop your skills as well?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    If your resume shows that you are not a puddle jumper, meaning if you tend to stay with the same company for 2-5 years before "moving up" then mention that. I've had several interviews in my past where employers look for exactly that on a resume.

Hiring is a pain for employers and management. My current position had 150 interviews before they hired me. 30 minutes x 149 = 75 hours of interviews. I interviewed with both a tech lead and a manager. So that 150 man hours. If you assume the guys interviewing you make $100k a year, or $50/hr thats $4,000 they spent just finding you. So time, money, energy, etc. Overqualified candidates make hiring managers nerveous for this reason.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your resume shows that you are not a puddle jumper, meaning if you tend to stay with the same company for 2-5 years before "moving up" then mention that. I've had several interviews in my past where employers look for exactly that on a resume.
    Agreed. The primary concern would be you jumping ship when you received a better offer precisely matching your qualifications. The first three months of employment are often a loss for the hiring company and past behavior is a good predictor of future behavior. Much better than words. If you have a history of staying at jobs for 2+ years, that would certainly help. Any other concrete reasons they wouldn't have to worry about you jumping ship, besides you just saying you wouldn't, would also help.