Finally getting some DDL (Update and Insert experience)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Sounds silly but until recently I have been given only read write access, now I am able to update and insert in some tables. I really like the experience it really helps out a lot and opens up some more doors into SQL. Kind of silly I know but I thought I would share.

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As I understand it UPDATE and INSERT are members of DML, but cool that you are getting experience with these!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I think you are right lol. Either way it's solid experience. I spend my whole day in these tables, I'm getting some serious OJT. Talk about tiring.
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice, the more you practice the quicker it becomes second nature....
    The biggest challenge for me now is getting used to the data modeling and how it relates together. I have an HUGE ERD printed from a plotter which is helpful for reference. It helps but there is a huge learning curve for me. I mean HUGE.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    ,,,there is a huge learning curve for me.
    Just take it one day at a time. I'm sure you can do it - icon_thumright.gif. No one knows everything.
    Thank you very much Paul
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    I'd like to echo what Paul said. It's going to take a little while for you to get settled in and comfortable with the databases you are working with. It took me a good 6 months to be comfortable with the three databases I manage. Don't get flustered man.
    With the Excel formulas I was creating (altering) today it was brutal. I was looking forward to getting back into studio.
    Once you get through the first book, look for the queries that will be hard to write. You are looking for the ones that make you shudder when you think about how you are going to bring that data together.
    I have quite a few other those passed down from my boss and some of the database developers. Coalesce, Stuff, No Lock, Case, and a bunch of other commands I am learning. I'm just going to take it one day at a time and continue to grow. The book should arrive in a day or so, and when my wife is off I plan on getting into the office 1 hour early and reading / labbing. Thanks again for the great advice.
    You are welcome. Be very careful with nolock. There are few cases that call for it.
    Noted! Yeah right now it's all about developing solutions to this companies problems. A lot of the mini projects I am on revolve around reporting so sometimes it's SSMS and other times it's Excel and Access. Huge learning curve for even Excel. Some of the formulas I have been learning (borrowing) are very cumbersome and involved.