Applying for jobs in a different state than you currently reside in

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
How difficult is this? Due to a few life circumstances, I'm entertaining the idea of possibly relocating somewhere away from NYC. I can't imagine it were easy to get a job somewhere else without making a few trips..
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I've done this a few times. It's really pretty normal... a couple of phone screenings, maybe a video call and then they fly you in for a face-to-face interview. Most times, the face-to-face is just to verify you don't have any knuckle tatts or face piercings. One time a got my offer letter right after a 5min face to face interview. Another time they gave me an offer a couple days after I flew back home. In all cases, they paid for my flight and hotel.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    How difficult is this? Due to a few life circumstances, I'm entertaining the idea of possibly relocating somewhere away from NYC. I can't imagine it were easy to get a job somewhere else without making a few trips..

Isn't it interesting. It's been 6 years as i am trying to leave NYC for where grass is "greener". Just tired of NYC life, running around, hours on the train, and all the crazy people running around as if their heads cut off.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ive done it twice. Both times they just said come see us when you get to town. I had already planned to move there, so it worked out just fine.
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They gotta be pretty serious about wanting to meet/interview with you if they are going to be paying for any traveling expenses, right?
    O
    /|\
    / \
    Yeah, that's where the phone screening comes in to play. As a candidate you do have some leverage too. A lot of times you're filling in a much needed slot and there's a huge investment into a new hire. We had a situation where there was a need to hire senior guys so that they could be on the ground running in the first couple of weeks...management was willing to relocate, pay moving costs, etc to get talent in.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Is the job market in NYC poor for the IT field lately, or are you wanting to leave for other reasons? I ask because I was looking for work 6 months ago, a couple of months after sandy and there were a ton of jobs available in texas from companies looking to relocate from nyc due to "storm reasons". I thought it was absurd as mega hurricanes only hit nyc once every hundred years but facts are facts.
    Something's up with NYC. I tried getting a job there and interviewed with a few companies. I was surprised at the salaries they were offering. I felt like with the cost of living there they'd offer a lot more. Even if I lived in NJ and commuted to NYC eveyrday the salaries weren't up to par.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Personal reason. I love NYC, don't get me wrong. It's just I am getting fed up with people here. Everybody feels entitled, even companies feel entitled, they want you to work like a horse and get paid like a ponny.
  • rensationalrensational Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on what kind/level of jobs you're trying to get. The more low-level and, thus, more competitive (because there are more job applicants for those positions), the more difficult it is. I had the most success when, as someone else mentioned, I wrote in my cover letter that I'd be in the area soon and could interview in person, but even then that usually didn't work (again, positions closer to entry level).