Interface OSPF question and Something Wrong With GNS3

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
If i assign a high interface loopback number but DONT assign it to an OSPF area

e.g

int lo30
ip add 172.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

BUT

I dont use network 172.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

in that case will this ip be assigned as router-id ??

I seem to have problems with GNS3. Using clear ip ospf process does not reset the router id.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That should be the router id if you did not use the router-id command in OSPF or that is the highest loopback address on that router.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup, the highest loopback will be used as paq7512 said, and it does NOT have to be advertised into any OSPF process for it to use that as the router-id.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Clearing the process doesn't always do the trick with OSPF for some reason. Sometimes you have to restart the whole router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Clearing the process doesn't always do the trick with OSPF for some reason. Sometimes you have to restart the whole router.
    Yup. Since GNS3 runs the real IOS, like most quirks you find, you will also experience this on real equipment.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/38796
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yes, that happens almost all the time in GNS3. One need to restart the router after saving to be able to see the changes.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've noticed I have had issues as well with this in GNS3. Sounds like there was a previous configuration that made the router use a different RID. OSPF should work fine though. Try the reload.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've noticed I have had issues as well with this in GNS3. Sounds like there was a previous configuration that made the router use a different RID. OSPF should work fine though. Try the reload.

Or trying out new images in GNS3 won't hurt either. :)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
    In a real production network, what should I do?
    I cant possibly restart a router!
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As per the thread I linked to, you'd have better chances with the OSPF "router-id" command made for this purpose.

I would add, even real production routers are actually restarted from time-to-time. I would question why there was this sudden need to change the router-id on an in-production device w/o waiting for the next planned maintenance. ;)