Side work - keeping track of configuration / documentation

EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I was just curious, for those of you who do side work, how you keep track of your users' configuration/history/etc? It doesn't seem worth it to set up a whole Incident Management system with CIs and the works for one to five machines. Right now I tend to just email myself the important stuff and use gmail to search for it when I need it, but that's not exactly professional. All too often I find myself redoing the discovery phase at someone's home or business because I didn't take notes the last time I was there, a year or two before. Thanks for any insight.
Currently Reading: A cereal box
BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016

Comments

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use Google Drive for most stuff. I have a folder for each location/person and all the documentation and notes there. I can view and search on any device I have.

I have also used Evernote for keeping notes.
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    Anything that important I note it on the work order or in a notes section of their entry in the database. More often than not though when if I go back things have changed so it's not all valid anymore so I just do an outline.
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second the Evernote and Google Drive. They both sync perfectly with iOS/Android and Windows/OSX. Google Drive is how I track ALL of my schoolwork as well. That way if I forget to turn something in I can just log on and download it on the spot.

Make the switch to the cloud and you'll never look back!
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Evernote to keep track of everything client. I take pictures of their gear's Service tags/serial numbers, tag it with the client name and put any information they will give me or I can look up. The Router picture is noted with SSID, WPA2 key and support number, the computers noted with Warranty and support contact, etc. I also keeps a note tagged to the day I do work with everything I do and change and how long. I always offer all this to the client in a PDF or hard copy so they can have it if internet is out, I'm out of town and their relatives have to try, etc.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good stuff... I guess I was kind of trying to reinvent the wheel. Evernote or Onenote would probably do the trick just fine. Thanks :).
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016