Trying to setup a Cisco Access Server and its not working

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, I'm going thru the following example here and trying to setup an Access Server.

I'm using the following: GNS3 v0.8.3.1, Cisco 3660 Router with the following image: c3660-bino3s-mz-5b.image. I've added the following module: NM-16ESW because the lab calls for connecting to 5 other routers and three switches. I'm connected via Fast Ethernet (I was wondering if there is a way to connect via Serial, because at work this is what we use for Access Server connections?).

Here are all of my hosts
access_server#show host
Default domain is lab.local
Name/address lookup uses static mappings

Codes: UN - unknown, EX - expired, OK - OK, ?? - revalidate
       temp - temporary, perm - permanent
       NA - Not Applicable None - Not defined

Host                      Port  Flags      Age Type   Address(es)
r1                        2001  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
r2                        2002  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
r3                        2003  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
r4                        2004  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
r5                        2005  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
r6                        2006  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
sw1                       2007  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
sw2                       2008  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10
sw3                       2009  (perm, OK)  0   IP    10.10.10.10

Here are all of the interfaces on the access server
access_server#show ip int br
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/1            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/2            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/3            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/4            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/5            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/6            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/7            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/8            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/9            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/10           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/11           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/12           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/13           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/14           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet1/15           unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Vlan1                      unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Loopback0                  10.10.10.10     YES NVRAM  up                    up

This is what I get when I try to connect:
Translating "r1"
Trying r1 (10.10.10.10, 2001)...
% Connection refused by remote host

Here is the config of the access server (I've trimmed it down to show the only important parts)
access_server#show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2321 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname access_server
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
!
!
no ip domain lookup
ip domain name lab.local
ip host r1 2001 10.10.10.10
ip host r2 2002 10.10.10.10
ip host r3 2003 10.10.10.10
ip host r4 2004 10.10.10.10
ip host r5 2005 10.10.10.10
ip host r6 2006 10.10.10.10
ip host sw1 2007 10.10.10.10
ip host sw2 2008 10.10.10.10
ip host sw3 2009 10.10.10.10

line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 privilege level 15
 logging synchronous
 transport preferred all
 transport output all
line aux 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 privilege level 15
 logging synchronous
 transport preferred all
 transport output all
line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 0 0
 password cisco
 login local
 no exec
 transport preferred all
 transport input telnet
 transport output all
line vty 5 15
 exec-timeout 0 0
 password cisco
 login local
 no exec
 transport preferred all
 transport input telnet
 transport output all
!
!
!
end

I'm not sure if this has something to do that the lines out show vty, with the show line command, which means only one it can send, not send/receive like tty. So do I need to use a different router or add a WIC that supports tty?

I though this would be pretty straight forward, except I have spent alot of time trying to troubleshoot this.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• bulkosbulkos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I can be wrong but seems you need different WIC card in order to connect console ports to access server Cisco NM-16A/32A (asynchronous) instead of NM-16ESW which is just a switch.
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    You have to connect to the console ports on the target routers from async ports. Like bulkos said, you'd need a NM-16A/32A and an octal cable. I don't think you can do it on GNS3, and I don't really get why you would need to.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I guess I got so excited over Cisco and GNS3, I didn't see the fine print:

Notice
    This lab is for use with an ACTUAL Cisco Access server, if you are using GNS3 you will not be required to configure an Access Server. If you’re unfamiliar with configuring a Cisco router then skip this lab and come back to this lab when you’re comfortable with such configuration(s).

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown