PowerShell IDE recommendations?

undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
I've finally decided to get a bit more serious about my PowerShell work rather than using vim for all of my editing needs. The scripts I've been working on lately have gotten pretty massive so I figure an IDE should help speed things up and make for some easier debugging as well. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good IDE? I've looked at the PowerShell ISE and just feels like it comes up a bit lacking. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Intellij IDEA when I'm doing my Java work. I've just started looking at PowerSE as well.
Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PowerShell is the only language I do anything serious in for work, and all I use is PowerShell ISE. I would strongly recommend upgrading to PS 3.0 though, specifically for the updated ISE, which behaves much more like Visual Studio.

Visual Studio with the POSH extension is what I'd use if it were an option and I had more complex scripts to write.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I use the PowerGUI script editor that's part of the PowerGui download. Although the best reason I can give is that's what I have used since I started using PowerShell, before PoSh 2 and the MS ISE. I like how it checks my syntax and has inline command suggestions and help. I used it to help me learn PoSh and I have just stuck with it.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually, I think that PowerShell ISE is alot better than the normal PowerShell Management console...IMO. As Claymoore alluded, PowerGUI is also a nice alternative if you are not comfortable with PowerShell ISE or the Management console
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I use the ISE in PS3.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I use the ISE as well. I started using it with v2.0 and have stuck with it. Definitely makes scripting a lot easier.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    The ISE is great. I second the upgrading to PS3 though. Way more powerful...and less bugs
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would also stand behind the default ISE. Be sure to upgrade to 3.0; stock with Windows 8, can download for Windows 7, no dice on XP. You can check the ISE version by using the $psversiontable command.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Here's yet another recommendation for PowerShell ISE. And as stated, the version included with PS 3.0 is best.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi