Options

Exchange Alternatives for a Small Buisness

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
My company currently uses hosted exchange service that's starting to get pretty expensive. So I was asked by our Management Team to look into how much it would cost to bring that email functionality in-house.

Now I've already priced out the cost of a Windows server w/ Exchange (and the needed CAL's) but what other Exchange like packages have you used and what do you think about them?

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I personally love Office 365 for Small Businesses. When you don't have the number of users necessary for in house equipment and maintenance, it makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Depends on where your expenses are with your current provider and what you consider expensive. Office 365 can be very inexpensive to sort of pricey when you start getting some options. For 12.50 a month per user you can get the exchange and the office suite in desktop form. If you have a lot of remote people, the hosted Lync may prove to be very valuable...then again you could just use free google apps and google hangouts.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Another alternative for bringing it in house would be Zimbra Collaboration Server. I haven't used it in a number of years so I can't give a current recommendation but I found it to be pretty good when I originally set it up. VMware offers some pretty competitive pricing for it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    you can get google services fairly cheap

Pricing ? Google Apps for Business | United States
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you look at the overall costs, I don't see how hosted can be more the in house. Office365 is really worth a look, esp. if you can also include the sharepoint site as well.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wes allen wrote: »
    If you look at the overall costs, I don't see how hosted can be more the in house. Office365 is really worth a look, esp. if you can also include the sharepoint site as well.

Hosted is definitely cheaper but for smaller organizations, the total cost savings doesn't scale very well and theirs a point where it becomes cheaper to bring it in-house rather than hosting it.
  • Options
    Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would go for Office365, can get email only plans fairly cheap and its easy to use.
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kerio Connect, Zimbra, Exchange Online.
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    GMail business?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Hosted is definitely cheaper but for smaller organizations, the total cost savings doesn't scale very well and theirs a point where it becomes cheaper to bring it in-house rather than hosting it.

Paying for server hardware, Microsoft licenses and an admin to manage it is cheap? Or are you talking another brand?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many users are you talking here? What features do you require?

Paying for maintenance on an Exchange infrastructure (capital layout for server hardware and storage, licensing; ongoing maintenance renewals, power/cooling, monitoring, backups, etc), and needing the higher level of expertise required to manage it all is not cheap either.

It is possible your manager signed on with a hosted Exchange partner who is just charging you too much for what you get. I'd think unless you are nearing 1000 users or so it would be more cost effective to keep it hosted.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...