USB to Fast Ethernet adapter and GNS3

lukileelukilee Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. I have a problem with my USB Ehternet adapter. Here is my setup:

3550 (11.1.1.1)
crossover cable
USB ehternet
PC (GNS3 cloud (11.1.1.100)
GNS3 router 2691 (11.1.1.2)

Now, the problem is that any traffic generated by the switch gets stopped by the PC and never gets sent to the router, unless I ping the broadcast address 11.1.1.255, in that case it does get to the router and I get a reply (painfully slow, one ping every 8 seconds for some reason).

From the router to the switch it is a different story. CDP traffic goes through to the switch along with a ping but when the switch sends back the ping reply or its own CDP messages it gets stopped at the PC.

How can this be happening ?? I have the firewall on windows 7 turned off completely and I used wireshark along with debug ip icmp for trouble shooting.

Any help will be appreciated guys.

Regards Luki

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Please review this example tutorial:

CCIE R&S lab – USB-to-Ethernet network adapters option - GNS3

1. Why are you using a crossover cable? if you are connecting the unlike devices, shouldn't you use a straight-thru cable?

The example tutorial uses a straight-thru cable.

2. Why does the GNS3 cloud use an IP address? The cloud itself should not have an IP, if it represents the ethernet adapter of your PC. (that is, whichever ethernet adapter the switch is plugged into.)

3. Does (x.x.x.100) represent your PC IP Address? You should have the connection bridged through, and your lab should be on a separate network from the one your PC itself utilizes.

One more thing:

Some reported issues with usb-to-ethernet, and chose either q-in-q tunneling or quad-nics.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)