Options

How to check host ip address that is assigned by router using DHCP

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
Question as above.

What command line do I enter?

Also, my hosts arent getting ip addrersses. What could be the problem?

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1
ip dhcp pool testpool
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.1

Can someone also answer my thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/89959-question-dhcp-nat.html

It is CCNA level unfortunately

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Windows - ipconfig
    Linux - ifconfig

Is the fast ethernet port up on the router?
    Is the computer on?
    Does the fast ethernet port have an ip address?
    Is the cable plugged in all the way?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Hi I forgot to say that I am using GNS3, so is there a way to check the ip address assigned?
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    show ip dhcp binding will show current leases
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What are you using for the hosts? If it's the vpcs then you need to set them to request a dhcp ip too.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    show ip dhcp binding will show current leases

This, and improve your google-fu
  • Options
    actually the correct answer is show arp and show ip nat translation from my colleague

but thanks anyway
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    hitmen wrote: »
    actually the correct answer is show arp and show ip nat translation from my colleague

but thanks anyway

Show arp shows arp requests i.e. mac address bindings to ip addresses; show ip nat translation shows NAT. Not to be rude but do you see DHCP in either one of those commands? If your colleague told you this then I would recommend never asking him for anything again (you may be able to ask him the directions to the microwave; but you'll probably end up trying to heat your hot pocket up in the company mailbox).
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    (you may be able to ask him the directions to the microwave; but you'll probably end up trying to heat your hot pocket up in the company mailbox).

icon_lol.gif. Amazing. icon_lol.gif
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    Show arp shows arp requests i.e. mac address bindings to ip addresses; show ip nat translation shows NAT. Not to be rude but do you see DHCP in either one of those commands? If your colleague told you this then I would recommend never asking him for anything again (you may be able to ask him the directions to the microwave; but you'll probably end up trying to heat your hot pocket up in the company mailbox).

The arp will show what IP is being used by the host. If DHCP is being used then that is the address that has been assigned. The NAT will show the private to public binding. So these commands will give you the info needed in a conveluted way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hitmen wrote: »

but thanks anyway

No. Dhcp <> arp. Dhcp <> nat. Dhcp = dhcp.

So to answer your question, show ip dhcp bind.
  • Options
    Perhaps I did not state what I wanted clearly. Anyway, I solved my problems.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    The arp will show what IP is being used by the host. If DHCP is being used then that is the address that has been assigned. The NAT will show the private to public binding. So these commands will give you the info needed in a conveluted way.

It also gives static address translations; IMO its like asking how to see the running config and his co worker telling him show tech.