Options

/proc/bus/usb and /dev

shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm reading through configuring USB devices and something doesn't make complete sense.

/dev is where device files roam free and live. I consider and usb device... to be a device. So, put it in /dev I say.

/proc/bus/usb actually holds the usb device files according to the book I am reading. I also confirmed it in my test lab which in CentOS 6. Maybe this is because of the usb kernel mods that need to be loaded that live in /proc?

Not trying to change anything just wanna understand a little more. Anyone have a clue?

Comments

• Options
    shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok. Shoulda read further and realized it is a permissions thing. Software needs to able to access these devices and they cannot do that in /dev.

At least that's how I am understanding it. Sound about right?
  • Options
    nogamblenogamble Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually when you plug in a USB automount should assign it a device file in dev and processes related to the USB device will be listed in proc. It should also make entries in /sys relating to the hardware, modules and so on.

The mount command will show the /dev/sd? device and mount point.

I don't think the system permissions on /dev have anything to do with it as you write to a mounted file system not /dev/sdb1