Options

Explain this subnetting/host please

Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
I'm kind of stumped on this answer. How are the subnets/hosts concluded from this?

jqmhaq.jpg

Thanks for any help

SG
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That looks like one of those matching questions.
    In questions like these, look at the class of address you are subnetting from, then look at the mask you are given.
    The 172.16.22.0 = Class B. The default mask for Class B is 255.255.0.0. You are given 255.255.255.192. 10 bits were taken from the host portion for subnets, which leaves 6 bits for hosts.

Using your subnets formula, 2(n) n= 10, you have 1024 subnets.

You have 6 bits remaining for hosts, using your hosts formula 2(n)-2, n = 6, 64-2 = 62 - you have 62 hosts per subnet.

Your answer is the 2nd one down from the top on the right.

hth
  • Options
    CarnbyCarnby Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This exact problem was stumping me for the past few weeks. Thanks for making this post, and that you Ltat42a for explaining.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Simple question once you understand the basics. 32 bits in one IPV4 classfull address. Network+ Subnet + Host= 32 bits

Given:

Class A = 8 Network Bits
    Class B= 16 Network bits
    Class C= 24 Network Bits

Subnet=2^x
    Host= 2^x-2
    x=bits

(H)Host = 32 - Prefix(P).
    Subnet(S) = Prefix(P) - (N)Network.
    Example 188.12.2.0 /22

Solution : This is a Class B Address so the Network = 16
    By adding the Network and Host bits I get 26. Subtract 26-32 ANd we get 6 bits or
    22-16=6

32-22= 10 bits

So we add these all up I should get 32. 16+6+10=32. NOw we are ready to calculate our answers.

Final answer
    Subnet= 2^6= 64
    Host=2^10= 1022

The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    That looks like one of those matching questions.
    In questions like these, look at the class of address you are subnetting from, then look at the mask you are given.
    The 172.16.22.0 = Class B. The default mask for Class B is 255.255.0.0. You are given 255.255.255.192. 10 bits were taken from the host portion for subnets, which leaves 6 bits for hosts.

Using your subnets formula, 2(n) n= 10, you have 1024 subnets.

You have 6 bits remaining for hosts, using your hosts formula 2(n)-2, n = 6, 64-2 = 62 - you have 62 hosts per subnet.

Your answer is the 2nd one down from the top on the right.

hth

Thanks for the explanation, but the answers are already paired with the questions. So the questions and answers are already in the right row.

I do get the idea behind it though. Thanks!
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs