Options

15000 bucks for a Cisco exam?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, the Architects I've known of have worked for Cisco, which I know covers exam costs (I know a woman who works there).

It really has no value in the market. I'd probably prefer a Phd.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd do it someday. By the time I pass the CCIE I'll have spent $15k on it anyway! Who doesn't love a second mortgage on their home?
  • Options
    Mike, I just don't see the point given you could invest in a few other Expert titles. It's like some Xbox Live achievement.

Is there a demand on the market at all? How come people like Scott Morris, Narbick, The 2 Brians, etc pursued it?

I'd rather be a CCIE/JNCIE.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My ultimate cert is ccie security
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Is the cost really a problem? By the time one is ready to take the exam, he/she should be making at least that much in one month.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Is the cost really a problem? By the time one is ready to take the exam, he/she should be making at least that much in one month.

Yes, but what is the pay off? Like I mentioned, if it was highly sought after all of the "famous" CCIEs would have pursued it by now. If Cisco was paying for it for me, sure.

$15,000 isn't too much in relation to higher education but what is the cost of recertifying? What is the process of recerting? The IE is a PIA due to the every 2 year recertification process (thankfully, just another written exam).
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    The only payoff I see in obtaining this certification is the sense of accomplishment. After all, very few people will have it even after several years. Is it worth it? Not for me, but I can't speak for others.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, I think the reason the people you named are NOT pursuing it, is they're too busy teaching. For reaching, I find the CCIE much more applicable. This certification seems aimed towards an extremely high level architect at select companies..nowhere else.

I wouldn't actually pay for it. If my company would pay it someday..well I probably would do it for fun.
  • Options
    But don't you think it could be something they could pursue and then possibly offer as a class once a year or something. I mean 6X CCIE is like one step away from architect? It would also improve the reputation of their school.

i know I'd go to a CCIE boot camp from an architect over another IE (maybe).

Learning is continuous but this is like Man on the Moon, completing Navy Seal training or something crazy.

Besides the 2 guys who defected to HP, does anyone know of any architects outside of Cisco?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    very interesting, everyone here is talking about ROI, demand. No one is talking about the knowledge aspect. I assume some people pursue to CCIE so they can know, well just about everything about R&S/Security/Voice. I would assume those people would see the CCA as a logical next step.
  • Options
    6X Or 5X CCIEs should probably look at this for their next step. The question is why haven't they? Trust me, if they have the time to pursue yet another IE, they could go after the architect.

Or if they're trying to expand or be marketable, possibly pursue JNCIE or Masters/PHD.

I do agree, it's like being knighted by Cisco. You're the top of the mountain, even more elite than the expert.

I'm going to see about starting a kick starter to pay for this.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't see the need nor value for it right now anyway, maybe 10 years from now i will look into it.

My current goal is to have a CCIE/JNCIE and a Masters
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    This will probably be a personal goal/success instead of something that will help in your career. At least this is how I think of it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.