Options

IT Temp agencies that help you find a job?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking for more temp agencies where one can turn to for IT jobs. I've already turned to a few like KForce, Teksystems, Robert Half, and Consultis. I need to find out if there are any others, since my contract job is ending and I'm needing another job quickly.

I once got an IT job where the temp agency found it for me, and the company only had to pay them a flat fee, then they were done with them. But Teksystems and KForce for example are never done with you and continue to siphon money out of you every payday. But - at this point I can't be choosy.

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Any openings at the company you temp'ed at? Any of the people you work with know of any companies hiring?
  • Options
    eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I noticed sometimes they will be contracts stating you cant work for the company directly involving clients that the staffing agency got you in. This is to prevent people quitting to get re hired directly and the staffing agencies losing their cut.

Good luck and hopefully it aint that way for them...
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    ToomsTooms Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They actually are not bad, IT recruiters are a good way to get in front of people. Especially if the recruiter actually has a relationship with the company.

LinkedIn is a good way to get people to approach you if you have a decent amount of experience. I get emails at least once every two weeks from recruiters on there.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
  • Options
    rensationalrensational Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    See if there is an AppleOne in your area.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    My friend got a job through NTT Data, and I have had some discussions with the recruiter he went through and seems like a top notch staffing company.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I've talked to Ettain Group, Modis, Robert Half Technology & Accrue Partners, all Charlotte area. I've also had some luck with getting hits off Craigslist, but everyone is either offering to little money or want insane qualifications. I'm currently working with a company I met at a networking event that wants to break into MSP.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I have been looking for a little over a month now and I was excited at first when the recruiters started calling me, but now I see them for what they are - hired guns who want to put a body in an opening. You, as a potential employee don't matter much to them, it is all about getting that slot filled. Generally speaking, unless I can do something for them, getting calls returned or replies to emails is very tough as they are busy working on the next position and the current people they have lined up for it.

From my limited experience the insane requirements or crap pay seem to be driven by the hiring company more than the recruiter. In a couple of cases I have had recruiters tell me they are having a hard time filling an opening because the requirements are crazy and they have to offer up people that come close, but are not perfect fits. Needless to say, I have been submitted for a few jobs where I fit this description and have not had any follow-up after the initial call.

Oh, well, the hunt goes on...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the back of my mind I sense recruiters make up jobs.. So when a contract comes through they know who to call icon_smile.gif.. I think of them as real estate brokers.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    I have been looking for a little over a month now and I was excited at first when the recruiters started calling me, but now I see them for what they are - hired guns who want to put a body in an opening. You, as a potential employee don't matter much to them, it is all about getting that slot filled. Generally speaking, unless I can do something for them, getting calls returned or replies to emails is very tough as they are busy working on the next position and the current people they have lined up for it.

From my limited experience the insane requirements or crap pay seem to be driven by the hiring company more than the recruiter. In a couple of cases I have had recruiters tell me they are having a hard time filling an opening because the requirements are crazy and they have to offer up people that come close, but are not perfect fits. Needless to say, I have been submitted for a few jobs where I fit this description and have not had any follow-up after the initial call.

Oh, well, the hunt goes on...
    That's been my observation as well. I was laid off May 10 and have been looking for a help desk/desktop support position ever since.
    I've tried RHT, Modis, Experis and couple more of those places in the San Antonio TX area; at first I was getting some responses and went to three interviews.....but nothing ever came of it. Now I have to call THEM to remind them that I'm still looking. icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    TechieComedianTechieComedian Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    right now im employed through C3i, i would check them out.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    MrRyte wrote: »
    That's been my observation as well. I was laid off May 10 and have been looking for a help desk/desktop support position ever since.
    I've tried RHT, Modis, Experis and couple more of those places in the San Antonio TX area; at first I was getting some responses and went to three interviews.....but nothing ever came of it. Now I have to call THEM to remind them that I'm still looking. icon_sad.gif

My experience was you have to be on the top of the list (I assume by being new) and have what they are looking for at the moment. I have not had a single recruiter contact me for a second position, it has always been a call for the initial position that caused them to stumble across my resume and nothing else.

Thankfully, I have found a job (knock on wood) and won't have to go through this again for a few years, but when I do, I will be better prepared. Staying in the same job for 11 years had a lot of benefits, but staying up on job-hunting practices was not one of them.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...