Options

To take the full CCNA test or ICND1/ICND2?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm having to recertify my expired CCNA, and I was told by someone to take it in two parts. He said he took the full test and failed it, but he then took the two-part test and he considered them to be much easier than the full version. Has anyone else had this experience, or does it really matter? I going to have to borrow the money to take this test(s), so I can't afford to fail it. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I did one exam approach for all of my exams that could be split into two parts. You have to learn all the info anyway and the less trips to the testing center the better IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I took the two exam route because I like breaking it up, in general. I think it comes down to personal preference and I don't think one way is easier than the other.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    One must get the CCNA first before taking, say, the CCNA-Wireless, correct?
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have already gained the CCNA, you should just take the full. I also second Networker050184.

Regarding your second question, yes.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »

I thought incorrect actually. Since the new changes have come in with the new exams etc., you now only need the CCENT before tackling ANY of the CCNAs. R&S, Voice, etc..

:)
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »

I believe that they changed that and you only need CCENT (ICND1) now in order to take any of the CCNA Specialty exams. The new CCENT (100-101) covers almost as much as the previous CCNA, though I think they will allow you to take the test even with an old (640-822) CCENT.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I believe that they changed that and you only need CCENT (ICND1) now in order to take any of the CCNA Specialty exams. The new CCENT (100-101) covers almost as much as the previous CCNA, though I think they will allow you to take the test even with an old (640-822) CCENT.

But going this route wouldn't get you a CCNA - just the ICND 1 and whatever specialty CCNA track you passed?
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'd get a CCNA wireless/voice/etc. Also, I think this would renew the expired ccna?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm taking the two exam route to break it up so I can focus on certain areas and gain a stronger knowledge on certain topics before moving on. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much networking have tou done since letting you CCNA lapse? If networking is part of your daily work routine, then I would say the one test route is within reach. But most folks I know who let their cert lapse did so because they moved away from networking and had to relearn the material anyhow, same as someone staring off fresh. In that case I recommend the two test route. First, because it stretches the material into two tests, giving you the opportunity to divide and conquer the material. Secondly, because it does a good job of segregating material in the ICND1 that builds upon knowledge you'll need to understand the material covered in ICND2. So I think it helps to lay a better foundation for a first time or returning learner.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!