Options

Router Module question for labsetup

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
I see people say how cheap 1721 and 2600 routers are so I priced some out. They can be cheap but some of the Ethernet modules can be pricey. Do most people just setup a lab without connecting it to their home internet setup?

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 are relatively cheap. You could connect a 1700/2600 to your home network using Fa0/0 and then connect it to another 1700/2600 using a T1 crossover cable (568B on one side, BlW, Bl, GW, O, OW, G, BrW, Br on other end), which could be connected to other routers in your lab using either Ethernet, T1 Crossover, or DCE/DTE Serial. Also, while the WIC-1ENET is a bit pricey, you would only need one to connect your entire lab to your home network. I'm not sure, but you might also be able to use a WIC-4ESW.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Excellent recommendation theodoxa, thank you!
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, if you get a 2621 for example you have 2 FE ports built in. I like using WIC-2T cards or the NM-4 A/S or NM-4T modules myself.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    I was looking at the 1721s because I could get two for the price of 1 of the 2621xms.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to use your lab gear to access the internet at home keep in mind the 1700 and 2600 series routers only get about 5-7Mbps throughput. If you have cable or fiber to the house you are going to be selling yourself short.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem there... I live in the sticks (google map my house and all you get is trees). I'm lucky to get 2Mbps out of my DSL connection... and I'm probably 500 feet of wire or so from not even having that... LOL
  • Options
    If you want to use your lab gear to access the internet at home keep in mind the 1700 and 2600 series routers only get about 5-7Mbps throughput. If you have cable or fiber to the house you are going to be selling yourself short.

That just deflated me lol I have cable and don't want to take that hit.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□

So even though a 2621 has an interface output of 10/100, it would bottleneck a 10+ mbps connection?
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem there... I live in the sticks (google map my house and all you get is trees). I'm lucky to get 2Mbps out of my DSL connection... and I'm probably 500 feet of wire or so from not even having that... LOL

We have a local ISP that provides internet over radio frequency. They have been around for sometime now building towers out in the sticks so today I enjoy a rather bouncy but reliable connection at 2 to 5 mbps. If I paid them a little more I could get it stabilized to the 5 mbps range.