Options

Upgrading switch IOS error

BootyhunterBootyhunter Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whilst trying to upgrade the IOS on my switch I receive a..

%Error opening tftp://141.101.98.26/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA14.bin (Socket error)

message does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    While doing some labbing I had a terrible time upgrading my IOS using TFTPD32. Initial 3 quests/attempts would time out in the application, while the 4th would start transferring bytes but in the CLI it would be !00000....... before erroring out.

I downloaded WinAgent TFTP and it too would error out on the initial packets but would work and not time out in the switch.

Talked to a few of my networking friends (CCIE's) and 1 of them uses TFTPD32 w/o issues, while the other prefers WinAgent TFTP. Make sure the box you're running the TFTP server on doesn't have firewall enabled, etc.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Agreed. Most likely a firewall issue on the TFTP server.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a problem where the transfer would go well for a while and then would have a lot of periods (lost/bad packets) instead of exclamation marks (good packets). I found that even though the switch asked if I wanted to erase the flash before I started that manually erasing the flash first allowed the upgrade to work. Though, this is risky since erasing the flash will leave you without an IOS should the upgrade fail.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    BootyhunterBootyhunter Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies, I'll give it another go later...